The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 2 Post By mikel
  • 1 Post By mikel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Old Bamboo Rod, amazing condition, need info from members

Hello Forum members. I am looking for some help trying to determine any info about the bamboo rod below. My neighbor found it cleaning out his dad’s home. He has no idea as to the age of the rod. It is 5’-11” long total length with a 23” two handed handle. Very stiff, but no designation on the rod at all. There is a missing circle sticker (sticker glue is still there) just above the rod handle on the bamboo. The wraps are in perfect condition. Truly a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Thanks in advance.

Click the image to open in full size.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Bamboo Rod, amazing condition, need info from members

My first thought was a 'spey rod, until I saw the length. That short it's a deep sea fishing rod. Or that would be my educated guess.

fae
jeepster II likes this.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

looks like a very short 26 wt to me

cool find...it'd look good on a wall...
fredaevans and siege like this.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
looks like a very short 26 wt to me

cool find...it'd look good on a wall...
Hear you. Have a 14' Boo Spey Rod (built for me in Norway of all places) on my wall, full DT line spooled on an 1920'ish Hardy reel. Fished it once and did a 'What if you break it' moment.

Never seen water since ........
Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

It's a deep sea fishing rod. Used many of them as a kid. They are tough.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster ii View Post
It's a deep sea fishing rod. Used many of them as a kid. They are tough.
Thanks Steve, thought I'd gotten that right.

Fred
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

They were generally replaced on bottom fishing boats with similar length solid glass rods back in the day, but I fished em for lings off Morro Bay as a kid...
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Old trolling rod. Likely worth not much to anyone who knows a thing or two about bamboo. Slap it on your wall if you think it's cool. That's about all they are good for.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I had an bamboo rod just like that when I was a kid growing up in Florida. Chrome plated hardware so the saltwater wouldn't corrode it. It had an old Penn Ocean City reel and 86 # test braided dacron line. We used steel wire leaders because the fish were pretty toothy. A 3 to 4 oz pyramid sinker would get the bait down quick. The rod would rest on the oarlocks, and the moving of the boat, as it bobbed in the waves would jig the bait up and down. We'd fish over reefs and coral heads for big snapper, jewfish, and grouper. I never had a scale or a net back then, but I know that rod dragged up a lot of huge fish. Thanks for dusting off a 50 year old memory !
If that was my rod, I'd give a coat of car wax, buff it glossy, and hang it up in the den. Nice display piece.

Last edited by siege; 09-10-2013 at 08:18 AM.