The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default ads from sponsors

Hey...I have no issues with advertising on forums like this, BUT...

Orvis has 2 ads on this page right now for a battenkill reel for 59 bucks. Now, I'd like some of that action, but when you get to the site to buy it you find that's the spool price...really?

and I can never buy a winston now because John Deere has me off of anything green for the foreseeable future...God I hate that thing covering up my screen.
ted4887, lacanadio, nick k and 1 others like this.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:17 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ads from sponsors

I have nightmares about that JD ad. I'll be having this great "dirty" dream and all of the sudden, I big JD ad pops up and blocks the best part of the dream. I usually wake up at that point with a clearly high heartbeat
ted4887 and enolaeagle like this.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Orvis, like many stores/sites, list the prices of an item as "Starting at..." As the reel spool is offered on the same page as the reels, it is the lowest price technically on that items page, making it the price you see in the advertisements. This is the same if you look at the reels page from their site. It will say something like "$150 - $250." 150 is the spool, 250 is the actual reel.

PS: I hate that damned JD ad too.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even think about it anymore. when I move my mouse across the screen I bring it all the way over the the edge before going up or down, just to avoid that JD ad. I find myself doing it on other websites. Also usually keep my computer muted because of it.

Of course periodically I forget and the thing takes over the screen. Usually I will have forgotten to mute my computer and my 6 month old will have just fallen asleep next to me.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:29 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

I've been holding off for sooo long about bringing up the JD ad.. its been killing me

Its a good thing to have sponsors though for the good of the forum. There is a v-bulletin setting where ads can go in post format and show up as a new post in random topics which is much better, especially for non related ads to fishing.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-09-2013, 07:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Advertisement I could do without, but those are the folks paying the bills so this Forum can be here.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Add me to the JD haters. I try to dodge it but sometimes the thing just jumps in front of my mouse. For now I'm living on the edge (of the forum page)
Old 09-10-2013, 02:16 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I got rid of that JD ad so long ago, I've forgotten to tell you how. milt
theboz likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Then there's that Ard guy who keeps on jamming up the pages with that Alaska stuff!!! Geesh!!
nick k likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Between the JD add and the daily issue with not being able to open threads, I have not bothered coming on here in a while.