The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 12:12 AM

skrap is on a distinguished road
Default Need to PM from a very experienced Fly Fisherman

Just as it says. I need to ask several questions / get opinions from one of the members with years of experience using a wide range of rods/reels. I need to make a decision soon on rod purchase quickly. Sorry this sounds odd but I'd rather ask in a PM. Thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 12:23 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need to PM from a very experienced Fly Fisherman

There's plenty of candidates here, but you'd probably get better advice if you just posted what you were fishing for, and where, and what your budget was. The cool thing about this board is that folks rarely post BS answers to technical questions. Why ask one guy when you can ask a dozen?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to what he just said.

Depending upon what/where/etc., you need in the way of info, the 'answer's' will really change. Example: Small stream fishing for small trout vs. Salmon/Steelhead in a big river.

Fred
mcnerney and caseywise like this.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM

I'll ask one of my maundering questions here.

Is there really a big enough difference between a 5wt 8'6" rod compared to a 6wt 9' rod that is the same make and model, etc? The reel to go on it would be a Kraken #2. Fishing would be trout, bluegill and bass.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM
mridenour

Casting a double nymph rig with weight like I often do, there is a pretty big difference. The extra length is great for reaching out and drifting flies (yes, six inches makes a difference) and a 6wt will throw a heavier rig better.

This is just one situation that applies to the way I fish. You will no doubt get a lot of advice from some real pros on this subject.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:17 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap View Post
I'll ask one of my maundering questions here.

Is there really a big enough difference between a 5wt 8'6" rod compared to a 6wt 9' rod that is the same make and model, etc? The reel to go on it would be a Kraken #2. Fishing would be trout, bluegill and bass.
the 6wt will be fit to cast bigger flies, for those species. If its predominantly for gill and bass, then the 6wt would be the way to go as flies for those are generally bigger...

If its for predominantly for trout, where you're casting small nymphs, wets and dry flies, then the 5wt would suit better.

Both rods will do both jobs though

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-11-2013, 03:45 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I would go with the 9' over the 8' 6" rod in either wt as both weights will handle what you need .The 9' will give you the extra distance in the wind and help drive heavier nymph riggs.That is just my opinion but hey i like a 9' rod, i do have an 8' 6".
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:19 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

go the 9' 6 wt route. med-fast action would be ideal.
it will cover all applications you mentioned but will
be able to cast bigger the bass flies if needed.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-11-2013, 04:21 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with the above, and if it were a choice between the two I'd buy the six weight. BUT if you already own the 5 weight? I wouldn't get a six to supplement it. I'd go ahead and make the jump to a seven or eight weight for throwing larger bass flies and keep the 5 weight for trout and blue gills. Frankly the 7 is probably the most versatile fly rod made. Its a master of no job, but it will do them all. Its light enough to be fun on trout and heavy enough to fish for bass or light salt water. In an ideal world you want a dedicated bass rod in six seven or eight, and a trout rod in the three, four or five range depending on where you fish and what flies you're throwing. But if I could just have one it would be a fast action six like the Sage RPL (My go to rod for years) or a cheaper seven like a Loomis GL3 or a Reddington or the like. I'm not recommending brands here as its been awhile since I shopped for anything more than disposable backup rods, but I will stand by the weight choices. Good luck. Its a fun problem to have.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. It helped confirm some info I got last night.

I went ahead and ordered a 3wt 6'6" Xa and 9' 6wt ATS from Allen FF just now. Should pair nice with the reels I mentioned above that are in the mail to me as we speak. Thanks again.
mcnerney, ted4887 and mridenour like this.