The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: "What do I have to do to catch a fish on a feather fly?"

when a fishing trip is judged on catch rate, then i think you're not enjoying it as much.

If you really want to catch something on the fly, then leave the bait gear at home and persist with the fly rod.
It also has something to do with the confidence you have in the bait gear. If you have that same confidence in the fly gear then you'll catch fish most times out.

Also, making sure you're casting flies that the fish will feed on, proven patterns for the area you're fishing will also increase your catch rate.

For me fishing is an outlet, not a contest to see how many fish i can catch in one trip. hell, i've only caught one fish the last two years, that said, i haven't fished at all this year, and only 3 times last year.
mridenour likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

So you are this tortured-soul bait dunker that wants to become an angler... but you simply cannot because fishing with bait "works too well" for you?

Yeah, OK... just be a happy bait fisherman then. Problem solved.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 09-15-2013, 01:06 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
So you are this tortured-soul bait dunker that wants to become an angler... but you simply cannot because fishing with bait "works too well" for you?

Yeah, OK... just be a happy bait fisherman then. Problem solved.
Joe,

Sorry, that's not what I was trying to say in this thread. And I must say that I'm a "super" angler!! I have the latest Orvis stuff, and I hang with the fly snobs! I sip white wine while I tie flies late at night ........ what do you drink? .... Bud Light? LOL

I love to fly fish, and I tie so many flies that I know I'll never use them all in my lifetime.

I'm starting to think that people fishing in a "fly fishing only" area with no bait allowed? are secretly putting a Gulp fishfry on their fly when nobody is looking? It's a "conspiracy theory" for sure ....... I have done so many tests, I believe it's true!

Longrods forever, anyway!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Yep. If you use a fly rod you're a flyfisherman. I tie my own flies as well (I even lean toward fur and feathers and keep them in an old circa 1920's laminated wood tackle box). But if someone can tell me the difference between fishair, craft foam, flashabou and gulp I'd listen. Its about getting a fish to hit an artificial on a single (preferably barbless unless its for the skillet) fish hook. I draw the line at live bait and treble hooks, but that's just me.

But seriously, what's the difference between a chernoybyl hopper and a gulp minnow? I guess maybe its fishing in the "glades" that's shaped my view. On the one hand its a fly fishing paradise, on the other it can be a nightmare depending on where the fish are. A good day you're casting to a shallow oyster bar in a broad bay. A bad day, you're in a narrow creek with a ripping tide. Either way you adapt and catch, or at least try to catch fish. Use what works. Its all good as long as you're legal and having fun.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

All fishing is good. Catching is fun and I catch plenty enough with fur and feathers to satisfy myself. But for me, catching is not the crucial reason I fish. It's spiritual maybe, I can't exactly explain it with words.
If what you use doesn't violate your personal standards, then you are good to go. If it does violate your personal standards ,,you,,and you alone, will know and have to decide. My opinion of a gulp minnow matters not in the least.

Enjoy the woods and water now, for life is short.

Mike
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:45 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
All fishing is good. Catching is fun and I catch plenty enough with fur and feathers to satisfy myself. But for me, catching is not the crucial reason I fish. It's spiritual maybe, I can't exactly explain it with words.
If what you use doesn't violate your personal standards, then you are good to go. If it does violate your personal standards ,,you,,and you alone, will know and have to decide. My opinion of a gulp minnow matters not in the least.

Enjoy the woods and water now, for life is short.

Mike
And again yep, and well said. Its about finding what's out there, and its a lot more than fish. Enjoy and have fun, and leave the stress of the world behind. Its called fishing not catching for a reason. Use whatever makes you happy.