The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 01:42 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default "What do I have to do to catch a fish on a feather fly?"

"Gulp Plastic seems to be the only word"

Every time I go fly fishing, a plastic Gulp bait will outfish my best feather flies every time! 10 to 1! Maybe 20 to 1! I have a top shelf fly rod, I'm a good fly caster, I buy the best flies available, and I tie a bunch also!

"It's sad, so sad, why can't we talk it over?"
"sorry seems to be the only word"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3nScN89Klo
Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "What do I have to do to catch a fish on a feather fly?"

With out a doubt Gulp is an awesome bait, and just that a bait for bait fisherman . Every spring I make a Crappie trip to a special lake with one of my old friends to fill our freezers with tasty Crappie fillets . My friend is strictly a spinning guy and he uses Gulps religiously to tip his jigs.
We always have a little friendly competition to see who catches the most at the end of the trip. A few years he outfished my flys with his Gulp and jig combination and I had to eat crow and clean fish. I could have surrendered and used the Gulp and spinning gear to beat him but that's not me!
So what I did was come up with a fly that outfished the Gulp !
Nothing fancy just a small hook with Pearl Flashabou tied on short streamer style with a wrap at the back of the hook to flair the Flashabou and then I Palmer a small white hackle feather at the head for a little buoyancy .
Put it to you this way with this fly by the time his jig/Gulp and bobber combo goes under I'm already casting to the next fish ! And I haven't lost since! There are other flys that have been equally as successful but when the Gulp is hot I go with the Flashabou fly!
I got the idea from SW flys f I use when Sabiku rigs are called for and they work there as well. Try a bit of Pearl Flashabou and you may surprise yourself!!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-12-2013, 02:38 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Try a bit of Pearl Flashabou and you may surprise yourself!!
boz,

I tried flashabou ....... and I really hate it!! I also should say that I don't use a "bobber" LOL

I have a UL spin St Croix UL with a Stradic and 2 lb NanoFil (only .002 diameter, the thinnest line in the world)

My fly rod is a Helios 3 wt. I use Gulp ....... and it looks better than a real live minnow!

It's sad (like Elton John says in the vid) but I'm not such a elitist that I'll only use regular flies?

I have fun while I'm fishing, so I use whatever I want?

"it's sad, so sad, a sad situation, and it's getting more obscured"
"it seems to me that Gulp is the only thing"

"what do I gotta do when lightning strikes me?" when the crappie only bite on Gulp plastics?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:59 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh for heavens sake! Use what works! I use anything for panfish. An ultralight spinning rod with hand tied 1/16th ounce jigs (wooly buggers with a lead head jig). Clousers and my wooly clousers, which is a clouser with a marabou tail, flashabou as a wing and a hackle collar with lead eyes, tied in either green and white or brown, and mini gulps on a small hook I fling with my six weight. Sometimes, I drag the flies and jigs in the Gulp juice if its handy. Do I care? Not even a little bit. Do the fish? No. Do I care about anyone's opinion but theirs? Hell no!
I mean my lovingly tied flies and jigs look like something a spastic five year old came up with in art class, and that's on a good day, but they catch fish, and that's all I care about.
Folks, the game is about convincing a fish to bite an artificial bait. Yeah, its nice if you tied it yourself, but forget that.
Me, I'm just a redneck fly fisherman, who is not above putting a bit of shrimp on a clouser when the sea trout are close mouthed. To me the tug is the drug and while in a perfect world I'd like to catch all my fish on flies and jigs I tied myself using organically raised animal parts harvested by unionized Guatemalan virgins.......At the end of the day I just want to catch a damned fish on a fly rod or ultra light and I'll do what I have to to make that happen. So consider me an infidel, most folks do. But I say go out, use whatever makes you happy and catch some fish. I mean pan fish are supposed to be about having fun and filling a frying pan. no need to get serious about them.

Last edited by fq13; 09-12-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Rick,

To answer your question - The best way to catch a fish on a fly is to use a fly when you fish.

You need to invest what ever time it requires to learn the skills and develop the confidence in any method you would like to use to catch fish. As you practice and improve your skills, your catch rate goes up.

To be honest, if I started to fish Gulp, using the same techniques I use to fish my favorite flies, I'm sure my catch rate would plummet. I would have to figure out what I needed to do to make Gulp work, and then practice the skills I needed to fish Gulp in an effective manner. Those skills would include where to fish, presentation, strike detection and hook set.

So as with any other skill, you need to invest the time. The easiest way to do that is to leave the Gulp at home for the next few trips, and fish with your fly, for better or worst, until you gain confidence in being able to effectively fish whatever method you'd like to use.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Last edited by pszy22; 09-12-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Every time I go hunting, a Remington 798 will outshoot my best muzzle loader every time! 10 to 1! Maybe 20 to 1! I have a top shelf flintlock, I'm a good target shooter, I buy the best buckshot available, and I self-load a bunch also!

If you fly fish because you expect to catch more than the scented, natural, manufactured bait methods, you're misguided. In taking on the long rod you have accepted some inherent handicaps, but accepted them willingly for some unquantifiable reason; the challenge, the artistry, the history, whatever.

Yes, in some circumstances you might outfish the bait-slingers and spin gear guys, but it doesn't happen often and that's not the point of the thing.

I just wish I knew what the point was. Perhaps it would explain my obsession. :-)

Mike

Last edited by Sep; 09-12-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
At the end of the day I just want to catch a damned fish on a fly rod or ultra light and I'll do what I have to to make that happen. So consider me an infidel, most folks do. But I say go out, use whatever makes you happy and catch some fish. I mean pan fish are supposed to be about having fun and filling a frying pan. no need to get serious about them.
fq,

+1 I think of fishing the same way you do?

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Rick,

To be honest, if I started to fish Gulp, using the same techniques I use to fish my favorite flies, I'm sure my catch rate would plummet. I would have to figure out what I needed to do to make Gulp work,

pszy,

That's the problem? You really don't have to do anything with the Gulp. You just nose hook a tiny "fish fry" on a size 14 thin wire scud hook ...... and any bluegill, crappie, perch, or bass will hit it as soon as he sees it! No weight, just a slow drop. If deep, I take out my UL spin with a 1/64 oz jig head and the same Gulp fish fry.

When I get tired of catchin' on every single cast, I put a feather fly on and have to "work" the fly several times to get the smallest and most stupid fish to bite it! It's rewarding (in a way) but I realize I would have caught that fish, and many many more if I still had the Gulp on?

I have a high IQ, and I can realize the difference ...... I'm also somewhat obsessed with fly fishing, I tie some killer flies, and this is what makes it difficult for me to leave the Gulp home!

All fishing is good, and I go fishing a awful lot! Just venting a bit!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:49 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Tie on a size 16 pale olive damselfly nymph and never pick up that spinning rod again
Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

It's not just the fly that makes it work...it's how you use the fly that really counts
Old 09-12-2013, 02:05 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Maybe it is just me but if I am fishing for crappie it is generally about catching fish. They don't fight worth a turd and I am wanting to fill my limit with as much of that tasty white meat that I can. So, I fish with what the crappie are biting on. Period.

If I am wanting some sporting panfish action, I can catch me some goggle-eye or bluegill on flies and have a field day. Plus on the right gear they will give a crazy wild tussle.

Just my $.02! Gulp away and enjoy the filets.