The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Seeking help with decisions for a fly fishing newbie

The best bet is to find what most people recommend for your local waters. For example, the water I fish most for trout I recommend newbies go with a 4wt 8'. That seems to be a good all around setup.

I would not waste a limited budget on a class. You can easily set yourself up nicely with $700 IMHO. You can get a fine rod, reel, line outfit for under 200. Good waders start at 100 bucks. Boots and other various things you could snag for 100. I think you can set yourself up for under $500.

As far as learning, meet local fly fisherman. Casting is one thing but the most important thing is technique for catching fish and presenting different flies which frequently has very little to do with casting when you are on the river. If you are not used to fishing small moving water you also need to learn to read the water and where the fish are most likely to hang out.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I would say jump in. Buy a basic setup and give it a try. You can probably get a free mini casting lesson when you buy the gear. After you have a little experience then go for a guide and you will get a lot more out of it. By then you will be in a better position to understand what he/she is trying to teach you and what questions you want answered.
My opinion dropping half your budget on a guide for your first day ever on the water will be very frustrating for both of you and mostly a waste of money. However, once you have a little experience, a day with a guide can help you improve by leaps and bounds.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

mbswift,
An option that may be available to you could be a local fly fishing club. Clubs usually have programs for fishermen of all levels including mentoring for newbies. Also you could find people to fish with.

Good luck with your new endeavor.

Dennis
Old 09-13-2013, 02:28 AM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Great advice given. The main thing is to just start. You still have some time to fish before it gets too cold. I never had a lesson till I was fairly advanced (not that some wouldn't have helped) but I just never had the money when I was starting out. I did just fine though. Buy a decent inexpensive rod appropriate for your water (I won't even offer a length or weight selection, unless you want to chase bass too, then the 9 ft 5 wt starts looking better).
But just jump in. Practice in the yard and don't worry about long casts. If you can throw thirty feet you can catch fish. The trick is learning where to throw and that comes with experience. Calm water edges close to current carrying food, structure and drop offs are good rules of thumb. As to shopping, look around at retailers like the ones suggested, but hit ebay once you have decided on what you want. You sometimes find some deals. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:59 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

As several others have already suggested, best thing to do is to go out and start fishing. It's sort of like learning to ride a bike, you can read about it, but the best thing to do is to get on a bike and start pedaling.

One last analogy, I think most people find out that fishing is like a journey, the only bad part of that analogy is that you never get there. The point being, getting there isn't half the fun, it is the fun. Folks who are looking to get some where fast typically don't enjoy fly fishing for long.

The one bit of specific advice I'd give you to get you started. Pick a fish, pick a spot, pick a couple of flies and concentrate your efforts on figuring out what works. While every one may not agree, my point is, it is very difficult to fish a new lake/river every time. The same goes with fishing a different species or technique. That way you can build on what you learned the last time out.

The one thing to remember - have fun!
random user, siege and ia_trouter like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
mbswift,
An option that may be available to you could be a local fly fishing club. Clubs usually have programs for fishermen of all levels including mentoring for newbies. Also you could find people to fish with.

Good luck with your new endeavor.

Dennis

+1 to what Dennis just said. And don't hesitate to ask for help as most Clubs have someone who is in charge of 'training.'
Old 09-14-2013, 10:09 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I like the idea of going to the local fly shops. See whats going on and get involved. Best way to learn about fly fishing is do what fly fishers do. When the student is ready the teacher will appear. Use the back yard or park to practice your casting and accuracy. Then go find a nice quiet stream off the beaten path and enjoy learning yourself.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:38 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Going out and "just fishing" led to a lot of frustration for me 10 years ago. i went out with a guide, and later took an inexpensive "intro" class.

My advise: DON'T DO THESE THINGS!!!!!!

Evey penny you make for the rest of your life will be spent on this addiction.

CAB

P.S. Tell the guide: Don't show me where the fish are; teach me how to fish.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:31 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

As quoted from above........."Don't show me where the fish are; teach me how to fish."

True words of wisdom......... +100!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-14-2013, 07:38 PM

mirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the rough

I'm all for getting some instruction, and also all for the get out and fish this year idea, and supportive of the "keep some powder dry" idea too.

You don't even have to spend as much as some of the very reasonable posts above suggest. $109 will get you an LL Bean Quest outfit with a decent WF floating line included, and it's a surprisingly nice feeling rod, with a cheap but reliable reel. Nothing fancy, but it's better than what I spent my first 20+ years of fly fishing with.