Photo of the day! Amazing!

M

mridenour

How many fish did he kill? There are several on their side in the water in the second picture.

busbus

Reaction score
How many fish did he kill? There are several on their side in the water in the second picture.
Aren't those salmon? They are probably migrating upstream to lay their eggs. I see about a dozen or so laying all around.

But who care? That is still two amazing pictures.

Reminds me of when I was 14-years-old and my uncle brought me up to his cabin right on Kettle Creek in Potter County, PA. That was the one and only time I was ever there as he sold his portion of the cabin the next year. I had a little spinning rod and was all pumped up to catch me some fish!

Fast forward almost six hours. Instead of a stringer full of fish, this kid got exactly ZERO fish and had ZERO bites. He walked all over the place and was getting madder by the quarter hour because he would be seeing others catching fish. (He hadn't yet learned that the main point is not always to walk away with a fish.)

I was walking along the edge of the stream, smacking tress and bushes and rocks with my rod and feet cuz I was angry. I was also tossing the occasional rock into the water and mumbling to myself. All of a sudden, about 25 yards away, this smallish black bear came waddling out of the woods. :surprise: :wow: :surprise:

(At the time, I thought it was the biggest bear alive and swore it was a grizzly when I told my uncle and other co-owners back at the cabin.)

He must not have smelt me because he gave me absolutely no mind. He lumbered into the middle of the stream and kept putting his head into the water. He wasn't there more than 3-4 minutes when there was a tremendous splashing and the darn thing came up with a trout! He carried it to the rock, ripped it apart and ate it. Then it went back and, wouldn't you know it, he did it again. This went on a couple more times and he just walked off into the woods.

The entire time, I was frozen stiff. I was so scared that I could barely breathe. Then, when it came time to move, I hurt all over and could hardly move my joints. I started back to the cabin slowly. I don't know when it happened but I was running full tilt by the time I got back. And I discarded the things I was carrying at various points. Was a pain in the neck to go retrieve everything (mostly because I was sure a grizzly bear was going to come out from behind the next bush).

Wow. I hadn't thought of that day for a long, long time. That was almost 40 years ago. Ha! Never thought I would live long enough to say something happened to me "40 years ago" but it happened!