The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 03:10 PM

miflyguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Fishing - Michigan

I usually run down to Schultz in Ypsilanti, great guys. Tell him tomorrow is paint creek fly and rod day in Rochester, I know royal oak orvis and a few others will be there instructing and doing demos and whatnot
goblueco1 likes this.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:54 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miflyguy View Post
I usually run down to Schultz in Ypsilanti, great guys. Tell him tomorrow is paint creek fly and rod day in Rochester, I know royal oak orvis and a few others will be there instructing and doing demos and whatnot
Thanks miflyguy, I will pass on the info. My parents are only about 15 minutes from that area. Their house backs up to Bald Mountain.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:29 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblueco1 View Post
Hi pszy,

Yes, he has fished in CO with me several times now. He lives in Lake Orion and has the ability to fish some of the lakes and small creeks, such as Paint Creek. I guess what he is trying to figure out is what to throw as it doesn't seem that the fly fishing department at Bass Pro or sporting goods in other stores such as Dick's aren't of any real any help. I sent him the link to this forum discussion so that he has the names of same of the shops and outfitters located in MI. His hopes are to reach out to one of them and buy a beginners fly box with a handful of flies that work throughout the state.

Thanks again for all your help!
Best advice I can give you and your dad, keep it simple.

More often than not, the fish in Michigan aren't much different than the fish in Colorado. Granted, maybe 10 % of the time there is a big hatch on, and it really pays to know when it is, and what to use. However, the majority of the time, if you have a fly that looks sort of good to eat, and put it in front of a fish, the the fish give it a go.

Your dad just needs to get started with some generic looking flies, he'll figure the rest out. What did you guys use in Colorado? If he felt pretty comfortable fishing out there, he might want to start out using the same techniques, and maybe the same flies here in Michigan.

Flies like elk hair caddis, wooly worms, hare's ear , etc look a little bit like alot of different things, so they work everywhere on just about everything.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 09-14-2013, 03:43 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Hey goblueco1,

If your Dad isn't in a big hurry, I'll make him up a "Michigan Starter Assortment" for the northern rivers that should help span much of the year/hatches. And, if he-- and you --need a little guidance/nudge in the right direction, I can lend a hand there as well.

I'm what's commonly known as a "Homer"-- born, raised and plan to die here in Michigan. And, it just so happens that I've been fishing northern Michigan since age 8, and have this small creek called The Mainstream of the AuSable River some 65 feet from the front door. Despite a 16-year battle with brain cancer, I'm still working the river when time and health allow, and I'd be more than happy to help out.

In fact, if you or your Dad want to touch base directly, my e-mail is: jwarrington1@copper.net

By the way, in the Grayling area, Gates is a great place to stay or seek advice, as is the Old AuSable Fly Shop in town, or Fuller's up in Lovells, on the North Branch. And, my Better Half and I both are U of M alums...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 09-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Best advice I can give you and your dad, keep it simple.

More often than not, the fish in Michigan aren't much different than the fish in Colorado. Granted, maybe 10 % of the time there is a big hatch on, and it really pays to know when it is, and what to use. However, the majority of the time, if you have a fly that looks sort of good to eat, and put it in front of a fish, the the fish give it a go.

Your dad just needs to get started with some generic looking flies, he'll figure the rest out. What did you guys use in Colorado? If he felt pretty comfortable fishing out there, he might want to start out using the same techniques, and maybe the same flies here in Michigan.

Flies like elk hair caddis, wooly worms, hare's ear , etc look a little bit like alot of different things, so they work everywhere on just about everything.
I mostly target tail water in CO so it's 6x tippet, #20-24 midges, some san juans, streamers sometimes. My dad is a true beginner and doesn't understand bug life, what to throw when and how, etc. Being that I am 1800 miles away its difficult to try and explain things to him based upon my knowledge from CO especially when it may not even apply to MI fishing.

My father and I have planned a for me to come out next summer/fall to fly fish and he would really like to get on the water between now and then so that we aren't 'trying to figure everything out' in two-three days...

Everyones help in this thread is greatly appreciated and I have directed my dad to it. My goal would be for him to join a fly fishing club in MI or get to know a fishing buddy who can go with him a few times to learn what areas and where to fish.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
Hey goblueco1,

If your Dad isn't in a big hurry, I'll make him up a "Michigan Starter Assortment" for the northern rivers that should help span much of the year/hatches. And, if he-- and you --need a little guidance/nudge in the right direction, I can lend a hand there as well.

I'm what's commonly known as a "Homer"-- born, raised and plan to die here in Michigan. And, it just so happens that I've been fishing northern Michigan since age 8, and have this small creek called The Mainstream of the AuSable River some 65 feet from the front door. Despite a 16-year battle with brain cancer, I'm still working the river when time and health allow, and I'd be more than happy to help out.

In fact, if you or your Dad want to touch base directly, my e-mail is: jwarrington1@copper.net

By the way, in the Grayling area, Gates is a great place to stay or seek advice, as is the Old AuSable Fly Shop in town, or Fuller's up in Lovells, on the North Branch. And, my Better Half and I both are U of M alums...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Jerry,

Man, that is awesome! Thank you SO much for your help. I will be sure that my dad reaches out to you ASAP! My uncle actually owns a cabin on the AuSable river and that is really where my dad would like to try and get started.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:52 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

My pleasure, goblueco1... I began my fly-fishing journey 52 years ago at the side of my grandfather and "Doc" Holship, on the North Branch of the AuSable River. Easy wading for an 8-year old boy, and "cooperative" brook trout who took pity on my meager casting skills. All four of my daughters took their first trout on a fly within mere feet of where it all began for me.

The AuSable River system is one of the truly great "trout haunts" in the USA. From sections of bouldered, big water on the Mainstream to the deep holes of the South Branch, it can be a challenge. But, it's also blessed with a wealth of areas that wade easy and host a few fish that an angler will have to work for. For me, it's long been my "go-to" river, especially with its close proximity now.

And, the best thing about being headquartered in Grayling? The three branches of the AuSable River are easily accessed, and the Manistee, Boardman, Pere Marquette and the Pigeon rivers are all within an relatively short drive...

Have your Dad touch base, and I'll help out in whatever way I can...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

Have your dad go to the Michigan Trout Unlimited website. They put on a fly fishing school in early June every year. Not only will he learn a lot, he will have a great time.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 PM

bw_mi is on a distinguished road

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions, site links and encouragement. I am looking forward to fly fishing Michigan watters.

bw_mi
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw_mi View Post
I want to thank everyone for the suggestions, site links and encouragement. I am looking forward to fly fishing Michigan watters.

bw_mi
Ah, you joined. Well, bw_mi is my father and I am sure he will have his own set of questions!

On a side note, I want to say that I am extremely impressed with how welcoming this forum is. I really enjoy being on the forum and have already learned quite a bit of information. Keep up the good work!