The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Fly Fishing - Michigan (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/331133-fly-fishing-michigan.html)

goblueco1 09-12-2013 11:57 AM

Fly Fishing - Michigan

Hi everyone, I live in Colorado but my family resides in Michigan (GO BLUE!). Since moving out here and having my parents visit my father has become addicted to fly fishing. The issue is that he doesn't know where to "start" as well as has issues finding fly shops in MI that would be able to set him up with flies and some areas to start scouting the water. Can anyone shed some lite on a decent fly shop in Michigan or really any help period would be greatly appreciated.

kwb 09-12-2013 12:16 PM

Re: Fly Fishing - Michigan

Would help if you stated where he was located ;)

Michigan is a pretty big place ;)

williamhj 09-12-2013 12:29 PM

Since you said 'go blue' I'll guess the South East part of the state, though intelligence is spread throughout Michigan so he might be elsewhere. In Ann Arbor there is Colton Bay, though when I lived there their stock was rather low. A newer shop, Schultz I believe, recently opened in Yspilanti. I haven't been there but it would be worth checking.

If he's on the West side of the state the Hex shop in Grand Rapids and Rockford is great, and there is Great Lakes fly fishing in Rockford as well. If he's in the heart of Green and White territory Nomad Angler is around Lansing (they might have a shop north of GR as well). There are a lot of other shops around the state, depending on where he is.

Sep 09-12-2013 12:29 PM

I'd start here...

Boyne Outfitters

Mike

rockriver 09-12-2013 01:17 PM

Gates Au Sable Lodge

Fly fishing outfitter in Michigan with fly shop, guides, lodging and school

Here are 2 good shops.

mridenour 09-12-2013 01:58 PM

Michigan Fishing Report

This is a website I have been monitoring for our upcoming Michigan trip. They give consistent reports almost daily and lots of pictures. I can't speak for their guide service from experience but they appear to run a nice operation. Maybe someone on here knows them and can recommend or discourage using them.

Either way their site contains some useful info.

rockriver 09-12-2013 04:05 PM

I'd use this site instead: DNR - Weekly Fishing Report

goblueco1 09-12-2013 05:09 PM

Sorry about that, my dad lives in Lake Orion but is willing to travel as long as it isn't into the UP.

pszy22 09-12-2013 08:45 PM

As was previously stated, Michigan is a big place with a ton of different opportunities to catch fish on a fly. Your dad is probably within walking distance of a subdivision pond that has bass and blue gills. There is trout fishing in Paint Creek in Rochester. There are steelhead in the Clinton River by Yates Cider Mill. He's close to Lake St. Clair. There are a ton of other lakes very close.

He can be "up north" or "out west" within a 3 hour drive, fishing in renowned trout streams.

Has he fished with you out in CO?

goblueco1 09-13-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pszy22 (Post 591147)
As was previously stated, Michigan is a big place with a ton of different opportunities to catch fish on a fly. Your dad is probably within walking distance of a subdivision pond that has bass and blue gills. There is trout fishing in Paint Creek in Rochester. There are steelhead in the Clinton River by Yates Cider Mill. He's close to Lake St. Clair. There are a ton of other lakes very close.

He can be "up north" or "out west" within a 3 hour drive, fishing in renowned trout streams.

Has he fished with you out in CO?

Hi pszy,

Yes, he has fished in CO with me several times now. He lives in Lake Orion and has the ability to fish some of the lakes and small creeks, such as Paint Creek. I guess what he is trying to figure out is what to throw as it doesn't seem that the fly fishing department at Bass Pro or sporting goods in other stores such as Dick's aren't of any real any help. I sent him the link to this forum discussion so that he has the names of same of the shops and outfitters located in MI. His hopes are to reach out to one of them and buy a beginners fly box with a handful of flies that work throughout the state.

Thanks again for all your help!