The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Fishing - Michigan

Hi everyone, I live in Colorado but my family resides in Michigan (GO BLUE!). Since moving out here and having my parents visit my father has become addicted to fly fishing. The issue is that he doesn't know where to "start" as well as has issues finding fly shops in MI that would be able to set him up with flies and some areas to start scouting the water. Can anyone shed some lite on a decent fly shop in Michigan or really any help period would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Fly Fishing - Michigan

Would help if you stated where he was located

Michigan is a pretty big place
dean_mt and mridenour like this.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Since you said 'go blue' I'll guess the South East part of the state, though intelligence is spread throughout Michigan so he might be elsewhere. In Ann Arbor there is Colton Bay, though when I lived there their stock was rather low. A newer shop, Schultz I believe, recently opened in Yspilanti. I haven't been there but it would be worth checking.

If he's on the West side of the state the Hex shop in Grand Rapids and Rockford is great, and there is Great Lakes fly fishing in Rockford as well. If he's in the heart of Green and White territory Nomad Angler is around Lansing (they might have a shop north of GR as well). There are a lot of other shops around the state, depending on where he is.
goblueco1 likes this.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I'd start here...

Boyne Outfitters

Mike
goblueco1 likes this.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Gates Au Sable Lodge

Fly fishing outfitter in Michigan with fly shop, guides, lodging and school

Here are 2 good shops.
goblueco1 likes this.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Michigan Fishing Report

This is a website I have been monitoring for our upcoming Michigan trip. They give consistent reports almost daily and lots of pictures. I can't speak for their guide service from experience but they appear to run a nice operation. Maybe someone on here knows them and can recommend or discourage using them.

Either way their site contains some useful info.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:05 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I'd use this site instead: DNR - Weekly Fishing Report
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 PM

Sorry about that, my dad lives in Lake Orion but is willing to travel as long as it isn't into the UP.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

As was previously stated, Michigan is a big place with a ton of different opportunities to catch fish on a fly. Your dad is probably within walking distance of a subdivision pond that has bass and blue gills. There is trout fishing in Paint Creek in Rochester. There are steelhead in the Clinton River by Yates Cider Mill. He's close to Lake St. Clair. There are a ton of other lakes very close.

He can be "up north" or "out west" within a 3 hour drive, fishing in renowned trout streams.

Has he fished with you out in CO?
goblueco1 likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
As was previously stated, Michigan is a big place with a ton of different opportunities to catch fish on a fly. Your dad is probably within walking distance of a subdivision pond that has bass and blue gills. There is trout fishing in Paint Creek in Rochester. There are steelhead in the Clinton River by Yates Cider Mill. He's close to Lake St. Clair. There are a ton of other lakes very close.

He can be "up north" or "out west" within a 3 hour drive, fishing in renowned trout streams.

Has he fished with you out in CO?

Hi pszy,

Yes, he has fished in CO with me several times now. He lives in Lake Orion and has the ability to fish some of the lakes and small creeks, such as Paint Creek. I guess what he is trying to figure out is what to throw as it doesn't seem that the fly fishing department at Bass Pro or sporting goods in other stores such as Dick's aren't of any real any help. I sent him the link to this forum discussion so that he has the names of same of the shops and outfitters located in MI. His hopes are to reach out to one of them and buy a beginners fly box with a handful of flies that work throughout the state.

Thanks again for all your help!