The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM

taylor16 will become famous soon enough
Default Getting weights to stay

Having a difficult time keeping my tiny weights (0.2g or less) to not slide down my tippet or off the tippet completely. Do any of you wrap the tippet around the weight to effectively lock it into place before you clamp down on it?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Getting weights to stay

I hate to use weights but what works for me is to use 2 pieces of tippet. The weight goes on the first piece of tippet off the leader and the knot between the tippets keeps the weight from sliding. That way I don't have to crimp the krap out of my weight and possibly damage the tippet. I don't know if this is the right way to do it but it works better for me than anything else I have tried.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:31 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Gary Borger, in his excellent book "Presentation", goes into some good info regarding fishing nymphs with weight on your leader. He says that he uses a setup which is a combination of his leader for which he gives detailed instructions on construction and a very short tippet to the first fly. He states that he attaches the first piece of tippet to his leader to which he affixes his first nymph. This tippet piece in Borger's opinion should be no longer than about 8-inches. He then puts his split-shot above the knot which attaches tippet to leader. This keeps the first nymph in the rig right on or near the stream bottom and within the normal range where fish are feeding.

I have tried the method and used it for years and it is a great way to weight your nymph rig.

Kelly.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:35 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using the soft weights that you mold to the tippet or split shot that you pinch on? I use the soft and find if I warm it well in my hands (store it in my pocket rather than pack to keep it soft) and then really mold it to the line, compressing the edges in particular so they are well attached and then let the weight sit in the water for a few seconds to cool off it generally stays put.

My prefered method is to use a weighted fly though the soft weight is wonderful when I want flexibility, removing or adding bits of weight as the depth or current speed changes.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:37 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I just do a little half hitch where I want my weight to stay. Works great. Basically a wind knot with no wind.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:41 AM

taylor16 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I just do a little half hitch where I want my weight to stay. Works great. Basically a wind knot with no wind.
Wouldn't that weaken the tippet?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

One other option is to use a tippet ring. You can attach a dropper to that or just a straight run of extra leader with a one fly set up. Size your looking for is 3mm. These are the same rings used on the end of Furled Leaders.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
A wind knot weakens the leader.

The mono cuts into itself weakens the leader/tippet. The amount depends on the brand of tippet. I would not recommend purposely tying a knot into leader.

"Wind knot breaking strengths (overhand knot tied)* are illustrated in the above graph. The average wind knot breaking strengths for all of the materials lumped together is 80.33% (graph below)."

Tippet Study « Mac Brown Fly Fish

"Typically, an overhand knot, the most destructive knot you can tie in tippet material because it has the most extreme bend, weakens nylon by about 50% of its rated strength by weakens Mirage only 25% or less."

Fly Fishing Tippets at Orvis - Mirage Fluorcarbon Tippet
mridenour likes this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
A wind knot weakens the leader.

The mono cuts into itself weakens the leader/tippet. The amount depends on the brand of tippet. I would not recommend purposely tying a knot into leader.

"Wind knot breaking strengths (overhand knot tied)* are illustrated in the above graph. The average wind knot breaking strengths for all of the materials lumped together is 80.33% (graph below)."

Tippet Study « Mac Brown Fly Fish

"Typically, an overhand knot, the most destructive knot you can tie in tippet material because it has the most extreme bend, weakens nylon by about 50% of its rated strength by weakens Mirage only 25% or less."

Fly Fishing Tippets at Orvis - Mirage Fluorcarbon Tippet
Yes we all know a knot in a leader is not a good thing. Let's take the better of two evils. It is the best way to keep it from sliding down as crimping it to tight does worse at making a weak spot. We need to keep in mind some folks want a quick and easy solution because flies out of the water don't catch fish. Or use twist ons.

I didnt want to go into some long explanation of how to do it the very best and most scientific way.

Pop a half hitch set your weight and get fishing. When we have the time and inclination we can get all serious with it.

A lot of folks get turned off of fly fishing because of all the minutia. You would prolly really freak out if I showed you how I teach newbies to tie leader/tippet to their line.

Last edited by cochise; 09-13-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Never use weight. Rio sinking leader, works like a mini sink tip. I use one when I want a fly to stay down, comes in 3 or 4 sink rates