The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By s fontinalis
  • 2 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 PM

airwhipper is on a distinguished road
Default Sinking tip.

Hello all. I have a question about sinking tip fly lines. I fish mostly lakes here in southern Minnesota for crappies,bluegills and sometimes bass. If I'm fishing mostly dry flys, terrestrials and poppers in wadeable water, do I NEED a sinking tip line? Under what conditions would a sinking tip work best?
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Sinking tip.

sinking tip implies the tip will sink, bringing flies sub surface.

If you're fishing floating flies, like those you've described, dry flies, terrestrials and poppers, there is no need for a sink tip line.

Sink tips can be useful for getting nymphs and emergers down below the surface. if you're going to be fishing those, then use weighted flies or get a sink tip.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

No, you don't need a sink tip if all you're fishing is dry flies and poppers. Those are all flies meant to be fished on top. If you decide to start branching out to new methods though, particularly streamers, sink tips or sink lines can come in handy.

Southern Minnesota has some dandy pike and bass lakes, especially around Mankato/Fairibault. They're definitely worth targeting if you're in that area.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to fish streamers there is another way of getting them to stay deep that does not require buying a sink tip line.

You can use a sinking poly leader or use a section Cortland LC 13 vinyl coated lead core line on the end of the floating fly line.

Click the image to open in full size.

I have multiple length sections 12", 18", 24", and 36" sections that have braided mono loops on each end. So I loop to loop connect the lead core to the floating fly line and then a short 2-3 feet of straight mono to the streamer.
mcnerney and ia_trouter like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-13-2013, 05:21 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I have multiple length sections 12", 18", 24", and 36" sections that have braided mono loops on each end. So I loop to loop connect the lead core to the floating fly line and then a short 2-3 feet of straight mono to the streamer.
Silver

Using the leadcore, you control your sink rate using different lengths of the leader? The Cortland leadcore advertised sink rate is very fast compared to the poly leaders, that is why I ask.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:33 AM

airwhipper is on a distinguished road

Thanks folks. It makes sense. I appreciate it.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

These threads might be of interest for those that want to play with lead core line or T line. Just because the discussions are in the Spey sub forum doesn't mean you can't apply these tactics single hand rods and line.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...pey-lines.html