The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 PM

finisher will become famous soon enough
Default Whatever happened to etiquette?

Part of the enjoyment of fishing is the solitude. When I head out to the spots that I frequently fish and someone is already there, I move on and seek out other spots. I do not crowd others and respect other people's space. Why do people feel their want to catch fish or fish a certain spot supercedes the enjoyment of the people who were there first? Seeking solitude and adhering to the etiquette of letting others have their space has helped me discover tons of spots that I would have otherwise passed by. Have we become so selfish as a society that it's just me, me, I want and f___ you? I'm getting pretty frustrated driving 50 to 60 miles up river to isolated spots only to be stalked, followed and ultimately dropped in on by selfish SOBs too lazy to do their own thing. It seems that the majority of the offenders are from a neighboring state to the west. Go figure...
Old 09-13-2013, 11:15 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Whatever happened to etiquette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finisher View Post
Have we become so selfish as a society that it's just me, me, I want and f___ you?
I'm sorry to say, but I am inclined to answer this question with a solid YES.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:45 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Search etiquette on the forum and you'll see that you are not the first to raise the issue.

It is good to remember that 50 people might see you fishing and move on to give you space and it will only take one who can mess up your day. There certainly are many rude people in the world, sometimes from a neighboring state or a neighboring house, I'd guess we all have days we're rude as well. But I wager that there are even more people on the other end of the spectrum, we just tend not to notice them because the rude ones make a lot more noise.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:47 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by finisher View Post
Part of the enjoyment of fishing is the solitude. I do not crowd others and respect other people's space.
fin,

I also like the solitude, but I must say that I have met some of the most wonderful people while I was fly fishing!

The majority of fly fishermen (and women ..... LOL) seem to be in a class all their own!

Fly fishermen are usually well educated, and are respectful of the environment.

Good folks in these PA streams! I can't complain.
von behr likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
I'm sorry to say, but I am inclined to answer this question with a solid YES.
Rare, but I've met the same 'people.'
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:20 AM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Yeah it certainly has become pretty bad as of late. For what it's worth whenever I feel surrounded I think of my time on the Bighorn watching guides radio back and forth in order to just play a serious game of leap frog without letting non clients fish a hole. And when I did, they'd anchor up close and sit. It helps me think "jeeze, at least this isn't THAT bad."
Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by long bow View Post
...watching guides radio back and forth in order to just play a serious game of leap frog without letting non clients fish a hole. And when I did, they'd anchor up close and sit. "
Unbelievable. At this point it ain't fishin' anymore. It's hustlin'

Last edited by noreaster; 09-14-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:35 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Excellent message "Finisher".

Your idea reasonates with me.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:45 AM

finisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
fin,

I also like the solitude, but I must say that I have met some of the most wonderful people while I was fly fishing!

The majority of fly fishermen (and women ..... LOL) seem to be in a class all their own!

Fly fishermen are usually well educated, and are respectful of the environment.

Good folks in these PA streams! I can't complain.
It seems as though the "wonderful people" are the ones you don't meet out fishing because they have enough etiquette and respect to move along and give you space.

That being said, I have met others while out fishing. They were the ones respectfully passing by to give some space. Due to their approach and sense of awarness, they earned my respect enough that I invited them to fish with me. This, however, is becoming more and more rare as the entitlement attitude seeps in. Folks who come from crowded places venture out to escape the crowds and wind up crowding others. Oh, the irony.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:32 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Good and bad people everywhere and fly anglers are no exception.

I actually had a guy walk up to me on the Provo River a couple weeks back and asked me which direction I was fishing? I told him I was swinging wets and working downstream. He said he was nymphing and asked if I minded if he jumped in just upstream of me. No problem, and I stopped to thank him for asking.

You're going to run into people that are just plain inconsiderate no matter what you're doing. Most times they really don't mean any harm... but they only think of themselves.

Annoying... yes. But I think I come across a dozen of the good ones for every self-centered hacker that I happen to run into.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring