The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which 9 wt setup under $400

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhitch View Post
Will mostly be fishing for large mouth bass in freshwater but if I do hit the salt it will most likely be bonefish or that size fish. I'm leaning heavily towards TFOs new Mangrove rod with the new Sage 2210 reel. Not sure what line yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Just curious why youre set on a 9wt? The species you mentioned can easily be handled on an 8wt. I actually prefer a 7 for both those species. MUCH easier on the arm and shoulder too
Old 09-18-2013, 03:55 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road

Keeping your budget in mind here are some sweet setups:

Echo Edge 4-Piece Fly Rod with a Hardy Swift Reel and Fly Line with Backing for a 9 or 10 Weight

Echo Edge 4-Piece Fly Rod with a Lamson Velocity Hard Alox 3.5 Reel and Fly Line with Backing for an 8 or 9 Weight

Echo Edge 4-Piece Fly Rod with a Lamson Velocity Nickel 3.5 Reel and Fly Line with Backing for an 8 or 9 Weight

Orvis Clearwater 4-Piece Fly Rod with a Lamson Velocity Nickel 3.5 Reel and a Fly Line with Backing for an 8 or 9 Weight

Temple Fork BVK Fly Rod and Hardy Uniqua Reel with Line and Backing for 9 Weight - Fly Rod and Reel Outfits

Those all look like great deals for the price.

P.S. Its 5am here, time to gear up and head to the flats. Wish me luck.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 AM

brhitch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Just curious why youre set on a 9wt? The species you mentioned can easily be handled on an 8wt. I actually prefer a 7 for both those species. MUCH easier on the arm and shoulder too
Something inside my head just says get a 9wt. That and I thought the little extra would be nice on those super windy days. Seems to be super windy every time I try to go fly fishing.

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 AM ----------

Those are some nice looking setups. Lamson had been on the list of reels I was considering, and so had Echo rods.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:13 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I also think a 9wt is too much for what you are doing, unless you consistently catch 8lb bass in the weeds. I use my 9wt for stripers up to 30lbs.

The TFO Mangrove I believe is also a stiffer 9wt, probably more of a 10wt, even more overkill.

My two primary bass rods are 6 and 7wt. I also use my 2wt for bass sometime.

What is the average size of the bass you catch and whats the water situation like? Weeds? Lily pads? Vegetation-free?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
My buddy has a 9wt TFO Professional 2 series and likes it a lot. Most of the newer Echo models have also got high marks.

You really can't go too wrong with a 9wt. It's a common weight and most manufacturers have this one figures out.
I'm getting one of those (TFO Pro 2 9WT) this week. I'll be matching it up temporarily with the prototype of Allen's new Omega reel. Hopefully I will be using it to catch some Kings the first weekend of October.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Quote:
I also think a 9wt is too much for what you are doing, unless you consistently catch 8lb bass in the weeds. I use my 9wt for stripers up to 30lbs.

The TFO Mangrove I believe is also a stiffer 9wt, probably more of a 10wt, even more overkill.

What is the average size of the bass you catch and whats the water situation like? Weeds? Lily pads? Vegetation-free?
Heavy weeds make me want to use a heavy rod...that's where the big ones are in the lakes I fish here and sometimes they are more than 8 pounds.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
contact the guys at allen.
they may be able to outfit you with a really nice setup
Allen Fly Fishing

casey

+1 on this advice. I don't know of any company that will personally work with you and your needs like the guys at Allen. Always worth contacting.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

For LMB I would go with TFO BVK 8 wt ($250) paired with an Orvis Clearwater reel ($79) and a decent WF floating line ($40). With couple bucks left over from the $400 invest in a fast sink polyleader so you can throw streamers with the same setup.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:35 AM

brhitch is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Bass aren't huge but there are some larger ones. Weeds and lily pads on the other hand are a huge problem.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Base your rod simply on what size flies you'll be throwing? If you're going to be throwing general sized bass bugs and some small streamers, stick with an 8. Going to throw some bigger than normal flies, then go to the heavier rod. I also lean heavier with my sticks, because I throw bigger flies than most people.

If it's a 9 you want, get yourself a 9. Once you get used to casting the heavier rod, they aren't bad at all. But they can make for some sore shoulders at first.

Cabelas L-tech salt is a nice fast action rod. Nice colored blank too. A goofy reel seat, but I kind like it. Pair that up with an Echo Ion Reel for $100, and once you've added a line, you're right at or under $400.