The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 AM

brhitch is on a distinguished road
Default Which 9 wt setup under $400

I'm in the market for a 9 wt. setup. It's going to be an anniversary gift from my wife. Catch is I need to keep the cost under about $400. I currently have an Orvis Clearwater 5 wt that I really like and could always go with that setup in a 9 wt. but I want to know what else is out there. Suggests please.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:40 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which 9 wt setup under $400

That's not too difficult brhitch.

Example, You could get a Temple fork outfitters (called TWO usually)

Rod or a also, find a Fenwick Rod on ebay.

For a Reel, look for large Arbor Okuma Reel in 9 wt.

That's the basics. If you want a recommendation for a FlyLine, I would opt for a Rio Gold.

or......... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Temple-fork-...item27d7464fcb

good luck
Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Which 9 wt setup under $400

Just a thought only.

A 9wt for a lady is one hell of an 'over match?"
Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Just a thought only.

A 9wt for a lady is one hell of an 'over match?"
Guess I should specify: 9 wt is for me not my wife. She gets diamonds and gold. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-14-2013, 12:01 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

contact the guys at allen.
they may be able to outfit you with a really nice setup
Allen Fly Fishing

casey

ARFE
Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Not sure what "quality" your looking for but I had just purchased a 9wt redington pursuit with reel and case from eBay for $160. It was a budget buy for me but I'm very happy with it. Have had no issues so far with the rod or reel, only issue was the cheap line that came with it, which is a simple fix.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

My buddy has a 9wt TFO Professional 2 series and likes it a lot. Most of the newer Echo models have also got high marks.

You really can't go too wrong with a 9wt. It's a common weight and most manufacturers have this one figures out.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Temple forks are nice. So is Albright for a lowball but serviceable rod (I've owned both). Cabela's makes some nice combos too. A pfleuger 1500 with the exposed spool is your best bottom dollar cheap inshore salt water reel (and remember at one point it was the Cadilac of reels and still works fine). Scientific Angler, Reddington and Allen make decent mid range reels and I like the Orvis Battenkill disk drag so much that I own three. What are you going to be fishing for, as the ratio of reel to rod money will depend on that to some degree.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM

Will mostly be fishing for large mouth bass in freshwater but if I do hit the salt it will most likely be bonefish or that size fish. I'm leaning heavily towards TFOs new Mangrove rod with the new Sage 2210 reel. Not sure what line yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

If its bass go cheap on the reel. You'll mostly be fighting by hand (at least I do). You also don't need to pay for saltwater durability or the low inertial drag you need with tarpon or bonefish. Also no need for 100 yards of backing. Its just a waste of money for you. Think a big trout reel and go from there.Spend your bucks on the rod and get something that will throw bulky flies. As far as line, get a bass taper (I use these in the salt as well for snook), they are a WFF geared to turn over big flies at close range. You sacrifice some distance and finesse, but you make up for it being able to put a deer hair bug where you want it at 50 feet. Also, maybe look at an 8 weight. Not much difference between the two, but if you're mostly fishing for three to four pound fish with big flies, it might be more fun. OTOH, the 9wt id like the 7wt. Jack of all trades, master of none, but it does give you flexibility.
nick k likes this.