The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By half fast
  • 1 Post By pa dave
  • 1 Post By yonder
  • 1 Post By fq13
  • 2 Post By siege

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 03:19 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Did I order wrong ?

I ordered 'Fly Dressers Guide' by John Veniard and didn't notice till I placed the order that it was published 1966. I would assume there would still be some useful information to a current fly tier ?
Anyways, was 5.95 with shipping so I couldn't be too wrong.

Mike
Old 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice
Default Re: Did I order wrong ?

The fish haven't changed very much in their eating habits since 1966. Sure, today they wear the latest clothes and drive modern vehicles, but a fly pattern that was appetizing in the '60s will be just as appetizing today.

There are modern materials that won't be mentioned in a 37 year old book (flashbou, etc.), but tying techniques are much the same. Tie the material to the hook with thread, wrap the material, etc., etc.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Most of my favorite books on fishing are older ones. At that price you can't go wrong.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:56 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

What I wouldn't give for some of my grandfather's flies......that were tied around that same time.........I think you will like that book....
fly_guy12955 likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-14-2013, 08:17 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

You got screwed. The fish are all into rap these days. The Do-wop thing is passť. Plus, half are freaking vegans, too busy talking on their I phones to notice an emerger. If they did they'd call it retro. Look, nothing has changed but some shiny new materials. Its all mostly feathers, thread and fur. Sub out syntheics if you want and add a little tinsel, but for 6 bucks you got a deal.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:13 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Sounds like a great deal, and on a useful book. You'll probably end up with a lot of fly tying books as time goes by. There will be good information there that you may not find in newer books.
On the other hand, if you just don't like it, donate it to the public library or local school for a tax writeoff, or list on the classifieds here. It won't last long.
pa dave and fly_guy12955 like this.