The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:18 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Where can I possibly fly fish in NYC?

So I live right outside of Boston and my fiancé wants to move to NYC (she lived there for a while before coming here). The only problem I have with it (Yankees suck, cough) is that it appears to be completely devoid of any good fly fishing water.

It looks like the lakes in Central Park may be decent, but I'm not sure how crowded they get and what the fish situation is in there. I may not have my car if we move there so getting outside the city will be difficult.

Does anybody know what the fly fishing situation is like if you live in the city or just outside of it?
Old 09-14-2013, 04:24 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where can I possibly fly fish in NYC?

Largemouth bass are available in Central Park. You might have to roll cast to avoid hooking a passing jogger, but I've heard there's decent fishing there.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:14 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Check out the current issue of Drake magazine.......page 100.......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-14-2013, 05:43 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I do know that back in the 90's there was a guy doing guide trips in Central park for LMB.

He also did trips into the subway fishing for rats - saw some film/vid of that.... was pretty scarey looking. Could never get time off to go when he had an opening.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:59 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
Check out the current issue of Drake magazine.......page 100.......
I don't get The Drake.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:36 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Prospect Park in Brooklyn, definitely. There also seems to be a small but growing contingent of people chasing saltwater species in the estuaries with kayaks, paddleboards, etc.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:59 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I don't get The Drake.
Sorry......my bad....... It's a really good article on that very specific area..........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-14-2013, 07:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Where can I possibly fly fish in NYC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Largemouth bass are available in Central Park. You might have to roll cast to avoid hooking a passing jogger, but I've heard there's decent fishing there.
This is true, a bit on TV just this morning on fishing in Cent-Park. Just a thought, but everyone was using a spinning rod/reel. I can assume the 'why.'
Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard the striper fishing in the rivers is surprisingly good. Now whether you can fly fish from shore or will need to buy a kayack or a spinning rod I don't know. There is a guy who has pretty good show on the cooking channel called "Hook, Line and Dinner". The premise is he goes fishing somewhere then cooks dinner with the locals at a local eatery. He got his start as a food blogger and amateur chef who fished a lot in the city though. I'd look up his show, follow links to the blog and read. There are also a lot of high end fishing shops in the city. Call around.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Fly Tyer Magazine, Fly Tying, Fly Recipes, Fly Patterns, Fly Fishing - A Manhattan Fly-Fishing Adventure

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy