The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kalgrm
  • 3 Post By itchmesir
  • 1 Post By jbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:29 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fluro tippits in freshwater?

Hi. I have come to the end of my trusty spool of Rio hard mono tippet material that I use for bass. In the salt I tie on Seaguar in either 12 or 25 pound Fluro. I like it for the abrasion resistance and low profile in the shallows. The question for you guys is this. Is it worth buying an 8-10 pound roll of fluro for bass and bluegills at roughly twice the price of mono, or just go cheap?
Thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:28 PM

kalgrm will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fluro tippits in freshwater?

All depends on whether you prefer catching fish or saving money.

Cheers,
Graeme
scott_g likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I just buy Berkeley Vanish. Tons cheaper than any spool of tippet you'll buy and works just fine. At 10+lbs it's pretty pointless to buy tippet when tried and true Berkeley and Trilene work just fine.
okbow68, mcnerney and bquick like this.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:05 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Bass and bluegill, no. Selective trout, yes!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 AM

bquick will become famous soon enough

I'll second Vanish. It works fine for me and is comparatively inexpensive. Fishing for trout in clear water I believe it helps.

Bryan
Old 09-15-2013, 08:00 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I thought flouro had worse abrasion resistance than mono.

I personally don't think flouro is too necessary in freshwater, but I use it most of the time anyway. I always use it on my freshwater carp setup, as I do think it makes a big difference there. I guess it's like any piece of more expensive fishing gear; if you have the money, sure, if you don't, not gonna hurt you.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:42 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I use fluoro exclusively for the simple reason that I don't want to confuse myself. That is becoming more and more commonplace these days.

All I fish for in freshwater anymore is bass, and I just grab a 7 wt inshore rod and go. Leader material is the cheapest of all my fishing accoutrements.