The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 AM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice
Default I have NEVER...

...Not once been able to spool brand new flyline without getting the worst birds nest ever:banghead:
Am I missing something here? I've seen plenty of flyshops remove the line from the packaging and do this with no hitch. All that said, I'm normally like a kid in a candy shop and not paying attention because I want to get the line in the water. Am I the only guy with this problem?
Discuss.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: I have NEVER...

Easy answer Todd. The shops are putting the backing/fly line on under 'tension' spool to spool. If you're spooling your own, you're not. Skip the fly line for a moment (you're doing the same thing with twist) and just go to moving water, string it on a rod and let it all out in the current for a couple of minutes and reel it all back.

Then add the fly line and run it out in the current; straight as an arrow.

Trust me on this one!

Fred
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:15 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I have NEVER...

Don't feel bad. It tends to happen without precautions being taken.

The worst for me is the commercial plastic spools that divide into two halves.
If those come apart when spooling, it can make a big bird's nest.

What to do is very carefully unspool all the line, laying it in large loops into a box, or on the bed or couch or onto a blanket when the dogs are locked outside.
Then I carefull wind it up the way I like it, either onto another spool or something before I transfer it to the reel. I am sure others know better ways, but I try to be careful because it is so easy for the taut line to be pulled way down into the layers of spooled fly line, and that's a headache.

You'll do better.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:24 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Put a new line on a reel two night ago and fought the same issue. I do get it under some tension but not too much. The line was loose on the plastic spool out of the box so if I used very much tension it would start getting tangled before it came off the plastic. I suppose they do it so the line doesn't develop memory but it is a pain.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 AM

long bow will become famous soon enough

With either the backing or the fly line you can punch a pen through the hole where there the "reel sticker" is. Then (and I think crocs work great for this) but find a way to have that pen held up by something so the line or backing can spin freely. Keep some tension on the line with your fingers as you reel it in. It's amazing how quickly this can get you ready to rock.
troutnut4 and enolaeagle like this.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:03 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Stick a pencil through the center of the plasitc flyline spool. When you tie the flyline to your backing run the flyline thru the first stripping guide so the line is being reeled onto your reel coming from the direction of your rod. Take your shoes off. Put each end of the pencil between your toes and hold the spool gently against the carpet to keep some tenstion while reeling. MAKE SURE the new line is coming off the plastic spool correctly so you arent reverse wrapping it onto your fly reel. This means the fly line should be unspooling out of the BOTTOM of the spool, running up thru the stripping guide and onto your reel. Adjust tension with the amount of pressure you use with your feet. Easy peasy japaneesee
rusty 54 and enolaeagle like this.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:50 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Stick a pencil through the center of the plasitc flyline spool. When you tie the flyline to your backing run the flyline thru the first stripping guide so the line is being reeled onto your reel coming from the direction of your rod. Take your shoes off. Put each end of the pencil between your toes and hold the spool gently against the carpet to keep some tenstion while reeling. MAKE SURE the new line is coming off the plastic spool correctly so you arent reverse wrapping it onto your fly reel. This means the fly line should be unspooling out of the BOTTOM of the spool, running up thru the stripping guide and onto your reel. Adjust tension with the amount of pressure you use with your feet. Easy peasy japaneesee
I think that would make for a hilarious video demonstration...

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-15-2013, 01:32 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
when the dogs are locked outside.
I do the pencil trick myself, its when I put on to much backing that I have the problem, then I pull the line out up and down the hall, unfortunately I usually trust the dog to stay clear and end up with a big mess.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:02 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

I feel your pain, Todd, but I found the cure.

The pencil trick is good, but proper pressure makes all the difference in the world. This method is hands ( and feet ) free.

Run the line through the phone book ! Tension is adjustable, depending on how deep you go in the pages. Pencil holder, phone book, reel.

Both hands are free to reel and guide the line on evenly.
Works for me, try it out.......
troutnut4 and jbird like this.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have been spooling backing and fly lines for a long time. A few years back I finally bought one of these.
Click the image to open in full size.

Trust me when I say that for less than $40.00 this is the thing to have on hand when loading or unloading lines and backings from reels. For fly lines you just clamp the line container between the adjustable spindle clamps where the Tri-Line is shown in the picture.

Your reel will fit on the mount like it's supposed to and you'll feel really competent when you load lines

If you want to set up like a pro Google this; Berkley Portable Line Spooling Station

Ard
von behr, mridenour and skrap like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;