The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 07:24 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Hey Fred Evans

Found these pictures of you. I think this was up on the Harrison. That was a great trip with our late friend Mark Sandlin.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hey Fred Evans

Wow, nice fish fred.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Dear God that takes me back so many years.

The four of us in my motor home up to Canada. Going through Canada Customs at about 4 Am in the morning .... 'You don't have any lickor on board????' Not!

The four of us sat there as the thing got tossed. Custom Officer was about 5 foot tall in her boots, gun and all. Sooo disappointing when all she found was a couple of bottles of beer in the fridge. Not even fresh veggies (can't bring them in, so why even try?)

Thinking about the trip and Mark just a few days back. And his Dog, a Jack Russel' if memory serves. Don't remember how/where/when we met but do remember the first time we went fishing out of his boat. At that time my Yellow Lab was 'Sheba' and head out the back window and saw his dog .. (Roy) Bailed OUT out the window (never done that before) and off the two go chasing each other around his yard.

Two of us just stood there and laughed our self's silly. On the boat, and beach and the two were off like shots. 100 pounds trying to keep up with five?

At his funeral and every one's doing, can't remember the proper word, and I got up and talked about him and "Roy" on the river. Never had so many people come up and give me a hug before and after.

An extraordinarily good man in every sense.

Fred Evans
Old 09-16-2013, 05:32 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Mark and Roy.

Ole Roy passed away not too long before Mark did. Smartest dog I ever knew.

One of my favorite memories of Mark. All summer, I was catching hatchery fish and he was catching wild fish. We wanted the tables to turn, cause I hate eating fish and he loves em. I think I caught 6 or 8 adult fish this day, all hatchery. LOL He caught a few too and of coarse, all wild. This was my last fish, he wanted to help me land it (which was odd because we usually did ok landing them alone) He lands it beautifully and gently, as Im reaching for my camera I hear a "CRACK", I turn around and he's bonked it with rock. LOL! He says, " This sonofab!tch is mine" LOL I stand there in shock as he starts walking to the boat (see picture) he yells over his shoulder, "C'mon! We're done!"

Marks passing marked the end of my serious steelheading. Being on the river without him just hurt too dang much.

I love you brother! See you on that glorious crystal shore some day

Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

That's my Guy and Doggie. You guys could always hook 5 to my one.

Never could figure out that one, save for you had the 'touch' and I never did.

ARRRGGGGGGG!

mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:49 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

You guys are awesome! Luke Sandlin, son of Mark, is my brother in law. Mark used to come over for birthdays, bar-b-ques and gatherings of all sorts! Beer in hand and a smile on his face...good man! Luke carries on the traditions of beer in hand and smile on face.

Too bad I never had the opportunity to fish with him. Luke tells me he was a passionate angler. Cancer sucks!

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

jbird...please don't stop steelheading

Pass it on to us younger guys...teach us to swing for the greatest fish in the river...PLEASE!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
You guys are awesome! Luke Sandlin, son of Mark, is my brother in law. Mark used to come over for birthdays, bar-b-ques and gatherings of all sorts! Beer in hand and a smile on his face...good man! Luke carries on the traditions of beer in hand and smile on face.

Too bad I never had the opportunity to fish with him. Luke tells me he was a passionate angler. Cancer sucks!

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Pass it on to us younger guys...teach us to swing for the greatest fish in the river...PLEASE!
This is hard to type ... Mark knew he was at end of days and called all of his friends/fishing buddies to say 'Good By.' We talked for about an hour and I could hear his voice slow down. Long pauses, I had all the time in the world for him to catch his breath. A few "you still there?" on the phone.

He Passed a couple of days later. And I cryed .. a very good friend had left my side.

Frederick A. Evans
Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post

Wow! What a small world. I fished with Clay a few times but never Luke.

Mark called me and left a voicemail to call him back, that it was very important. Here we are 3 years+ down the road, and I still have that message saved on my phone. My phone tries to purge it every month and I have to resave it, I listen to it every time and hear his voice. Anyway, I went to his house and we talked for a couple hours. He then took me into his "man cave" and started giving me everything. Man that was hard. He seemed to be in good spirits and actually looked good! He passed away the very next day.
Leukemia! You Suck!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 AM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

"Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them." - George Eliot

We can only hope that we have lived the sort of life that makes those we leave behind, miss us on message boards!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM

Hay Jbird, remember that flo green fly someone tied up that turned out the be a total killer? That night they came off the production line as fast as someone could tie.

One of those 'just can't miss' bits of fluff.

Fred