The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Tippet size question

Hi -- would you guys be comfortable using 2-3X tippet with a pretty standard 9 foot, 8-weight fly rod?

I'll be trout fishing all weekend on a stream where I'll probably want to (at some point) toss some larger rabbit streamers with lead eyes at some brown trout and didn't know whether I had a real "need" to bring along a lighter rod if I swap to fishing soft hackles and nymphs on the 2-3x tippet.

I guess I could just tie some up to a tree outside and put a full bend in my rod to test it, but I thought I'd ask first.

Oh, and before someone says "you match tippet to fly size, not rod size", I'd beg to disagree. Though you have obvious problems fitting heavy tippet through a tiny hook eye, I 100% believe that tippet size HAS to match rod stiffness to some degree (i.e. I wouldn't expect an 8-weight fly rod to protect 7X tippet whatsoever). I use loop knots to attach most flies, so heavier tippet like 2-4x is mostly what I use for trout and I've had no problems on 3-6 weight rods up to this point.

Thank you!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tippet size question

Just my .02 cents here but the 'x system' is a total waste of time when choosing leader material. Manufacturer's are all over the map when it comes to 'calling' it 6 pound test. Someone's '6' is really a five, you buy Maxima and its probably closer to 8.

How 'fine?' The fish, the fishing conditions and the rod in your hand. I'm no trout fisherman by any stretch of the term, but I've watched a Guy('s), very much my Sr., sting a leader into a size 20-22'ish hook and he'd tied the fly. I couldn't even find the damned ring eye.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Hi -- would you guys be comfortable using 2-3X tippet with a pretty standard 9 foot, 8-weight fly rod?
Yes, No problemo
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Fred's hit the Nail on The Head as many of us have also found lots of different Tipit materials as well as their Tapered Leaders from different makers vary in diameter supposedly for the same Lines Tests.

Brian
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Jb, first real clouds in weeks. Building and building and now its raining like heck! We need every drop. To the South and West they're getting their ass KICKED. Here, until a few minutes ago .... ZIP.

Edit:

Loader truck just drove up to put roofing materials 'up too' with a crain thing. What the Hell was some one thinking???
Old 09-18-2013, 02:39 AM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

You should be fine. I've fished 2x-3x on 10 weights with rockfish up to 8 or 10 pounds with no problem. That's in pretty heavy currents.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:31 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

No problem at all, I've used 4x on a ten weight occasionally for mangrove snapper in the keys, just because its the only rod I brought and they're leader shy. But I would ask, why such a heavy rod? Wouldn't a six weight be better if you have one? But then, I tend to like light fast rods and throw #6 lead clousers on a 4 weight and epoxy flies on a six all the time. No finesse, just a double haul.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Last weekend on Yellow Breeches I was using a 4-weight and throwing #6 4X streamers of zonker, soft hackle, and lead dumbell eyes. With 25' or more fly line out I was able to manage casting them decently with a good double haul (like you mention), but had it been windy it would have really sucked.

I mostly fish nymphs down deep and soft hackles in every possible position, and also streamers for trout. I rarely go lighter than 4X, and usually no lighter than 2-3X.

I am getting to think more and more that unless I plan to do a lot of dry fly fishing with light tippet, the 6-8 weight is the better rod for the job.

I'm not into "underpowering" my fishing just to increase the excitement of playing a fish -- I just care about being on the water and being relaxed. An 8-weight is very relaxing to me because there's virtually no effort to casting huge rigs and big streamers.

One of the situations I really notice a difference is roll casting a team of sunken nymphs or wets with split shot to the surface -- the heavier line does this so much more easily it's not even funny ;0.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

You'll be fine. I've used 1x and 2x Rio Fluroflex on a Sage XP and Loomis GLX Native Run - both 8 weights when throwing meat. Keep your drag in check and you'll have the control you're looking for here.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

A 9' leader with a 2x or 3x sounds is a pretty standard streamer leader to me. It's more than I would throw on my #3, but they are common on my #5 and #7.

Leaders need to sort of balance against them selves. If the butt section is stiff enough and the transition section is progressive enough to turn over the tippet and lay out fairly strait then all is good. Only thing after that is can you tie the fly onto it and are the targeted fish put off by the diameter.

One thing I learned when I was tying my own leaders: My basic 9'-ish streamer leader was actually the middle of my 12'-ish small fly leader.

The 12' had an extra section of heavier butt material, the 2X tippet was clipped of at 6"-8", 4" section of 4X tied on and then a 5X or 6X tippet was added. (I was tying leaders with maxima chamleon and a softer, clear tippet.)

So with a littler leader modification and experimentation, you could go from a heavy streamer leader to a fairly decent presentation of a #16 dry without too much problem.
fredaevans and scott_g like this.