The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 02:48 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Re: Snakes!?!?

We only have Garter (garden) snakes here. They are a non-venomous constrictor. I hate snakes personally and always have. The only problem is they keep the mouse population down better than a cat. We do have a problem with snow snakes in the winter leaving parallel tracks with 2" circle prints on either side.
nick k likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:53 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

They are only dangerous if you encounter them on planes.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:54 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Fantastic BB, I can handle that on an iPad, I know I'm safe.
I have to admire snakes, wonderful creatures in so many ways, I'm just relieved I don't have to confront them in my every day life/fishing.
I suppose it's what you're used to, if I'd grown up with them around, I wouldn't fear them, I don't like spiders either, but lets not even go there.
S.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:02 PM

blackbugger has a spectacular aura aboutblackbugger has a spectacular aura aboutblackbugger has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtrout View Post
Fantastic BB, I can handle that on an iPad, I know I'm safe.
I have to admire snakes, wonderful creatures in so many ways, I'm just relieved I don't have to confront them in my every day life/fishing.
I suppose it's what you're used to, if I'd grown up with them around, I wouldn't fear them, I don't like spiders either, but lets not even go there.
S.
I actually have a bit of a spider phobia myself. I can appreciate their beauty and think they are actually interesting creatures and all that but I still have to rein in that fear response when dealing with them.

I don't feel that way about snakes at all but I can appreciate the way it must feel for those who do have a snake phobia.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:09 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

I too don't like snakes. And we have lots of them here in Florida. The only ones I worry about are the moccasins. They're semi aquatic so likely to be where I'm fishing and they're very aggressive. I generally leave snakes well enough alone but the moccasins, if its a place I regularly fish, well one advantage of Florida over the UK is that we have sane gun laws. I carry a Bond Arms derringer as a BUG with #4 410 over .45. Its excellent for solving that problem.
Mrtrout and mridenour like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

We have some vipers here....I met some while fishing and I'm not very at ease.....In june a 53 year old snake trainer died after being bitten by a viper during his show in a little village near home....
Un dresseur de serpents meurt en plein spectacle | Atlantico
Hérault : il meurt mordu par sa vipère en plein spectacle
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:18 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Not very fond of snakes myself, but can tolerate them as long as we don't surprise each other. Last year a buddy and I were fishing a Missouri trout stream and we were within shouting distance of each other when he called out that a snake was swimming my way. It was about three feet long and since I assumed it could see me, I stood still hoping it would simply swim by. However, when it was about five feet from me, it's head came out of the water with fangs on display and veered toward me. Not sure what type of snake it was or that it would have actually bit me. I backed off real fast and it then continued down stream. Suspect it simply took an aggressive stance to scare me off and it worked.
Mrtrout likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:37 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I've always lived in Southern California and have hunted, fished, hiked, and backpacked all over the mountains here (Santa Monicas, San Gabriels) and in the Sierras. We are home to several different species of rattlesnakes and a few non venomous types as well. I've encountered about a 1/2 dozen rattlesnakes in my lifetime (43 years and counting) around this place. I've seen many more non venomous snakes, which are easy to identify (California king snake, gopher snake). I always consider it a privilege to see wildlife in its native habitat.

I've never been bitten, and they've always avoided me (curious why they would be afraid of a 6'2" creature weighing 200 lbs.)

A huge percentage of rattlesnake bites in California are inflicted upon men 18-25 years old who have been drinking (based on data collected from hospital emergency rooms). That liquid courage usually does the trick for most "victims."

If you give them a wide berth, they'll avoid you out of fear and respect. They don't want bwana to step on them. Oh, and don't blindly reach under rocks or logs. That would be a self correcting move.

-VB
Hardyreels and Mrtrout like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:39 PM

pjosh6 is on a distinguished road

I was fishing here in Colorado a few months ago and i was wading pretty deep.. I happened to look over and about 15 ft from me was a rattlesnake that was a good 4 ft long. He was just swimming across the water like i wasn't there.... Surprised me.... I watched him leave the water and go by some rocks... I thought i was good to go... Sure enough 20 min later... Here comes the same snake but heading back across the river again.... He wasn't bothered by me at all but i decided to leave anyways... Couldn't wrestle and tame that boy in that fast and deep current.....

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Where there's a chance I don't bring my Yellow Lab. Only one off and I'm kicking the shxt out of the dog to get him out of the way and stomping the hell out of the snake. Quite a dance to do both at the same time.
mrfzx likes this.