The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM

bquick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Snakes!?!?

It pays to keep your wits about you. I have encountered many snakes while fishing. A long time ago I was fishing an old quarry near the San Joaquin below Friant Dam. The banks were steep and brush covered. I was roll casting a wooly bugger and hooking small bass. As I was reaching down to land one, I heard a commotion up above me on the bank. It came down the hill towards me and turned out to be three entwined rattle snakes. I stepped out of the way as they finally plopped into the water. Seeing the direction they were headed, I opted for the other and encountered two more hiking out of the quarry.

It was mating season and they were all chasing a hot female. I've seen others climbing around rocks and looking for petroglyphs, mostly in the shade. They normally warn you and you go around. I did step on one chasing a covey of quail in Arizona. In reaction, it struck the top of my boot and got one fang into my shin. Luckily, it didn't inject any venom. Moral of the story, carry a wading staff and look where you step. Always.

Cheers,

Bryan
Mrtrout likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:37 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I grew up in Southernn Oregon (Jacksonville / Applegate ) and as Fred can attest there are tons of rattlers out there. Saw them all the time but the worst was I was out bow hunting and stopped to pee on a pile of rocks and heard the distinct rattle. Yes he was getting a shower and didnt like it.

I am pretty sure I had a #2 at the same time after that encounter.

Here in Colorado I see snakes all the time but have only seen one Rattler, cautious not scared.
mysticm likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I am pretty sure I had a #2 at the same time after that encounter.
Just sprayed a nice Malbec on my keyboard. Sounds like this could be a new 'marketing strategy' for adult incontinence pads
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Poisonous snakes = kill with fire:

I really don't care for them and they usually don't care for me. It's a mutual hate/hate relationship with us.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 PM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

I've been pretty fortunate for the amount of time I've spent in snakey areas. While trout fishing I've come across two aggressive copperheads. It may have been the same one because it was about a year apart and within a couple hundred feet. The first time it wouldn't move out of the trail and I touched it with the rod tip. Normally they take off. Not this one, it came at me fast and stopped and coiled up in strike position. I backed up and it followed until it finally disappeared. The second one came at me in the same manner as soon as it saw me. That one I was able to find a good stick and fling it well out of my way.

The rattlesnakes I've only heard while fishing. I don't know anybody that has had a run in with an aggressive one.

For the most part they try to avoid people. But I still try to be careful and check before I cross logs or climb rocky areas/ stone walls.
Hardyreels and Mrtrout like this.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 AM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtrout View Post
I'm sure you are right nir, but never having had snakes to think about on the rivers here, I just wondered.
A guy from the USA was making mention a few weeks ago on the UK forum, that he was stalking a trout, and was so busy concentrating on the fish he literally stood on a snake which punctured his waders, but fortunately didn't make contact with his leg.
I think I would have had a heart attack at that point!!
S.
I would probably have some kind of a heart attack myself! I love snakes (seriously!) but they are pretty good at surprising you sometimes! I remember in my old apartment. A 4' milksnake had escaped... I ended up finding him in a weird way the next day. Me and my girlfriend started a movie, it was dark... and as I pulled a big blanket over us, the snake was in the blanket and fell on my chest! ahah, I nearly died! But was happy that he was found!

Here is a little bugger I produced out of my breeding projects this year!

Click the image to open in full size.
It's a Western Hognose
Mrtrout and nick k like this.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:30 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
I too don't like snakes. And we have lots of them here in Florida. The only ones I worry about are the moccasins. They're semi aquatic so likely to be where I'm fishing and they're very aggressive. I generally leave snakes well enough alone but the moccasins, if its a place I regularly fish, well one advantage of Florida over the UK is that we have sane gun laws. I carry a Bond Arms derringer as a BUG with #4 410 over .45. Its excellent for solving that problem.

Water Moccasins or Cottonmouths are common in the southern part of Missouri and they will get in the boat with you. Their bites are really nasty and they should be avoided at all costs. The Copperheads are more common where I live and I have run into lots of them but never have been close to being bitten. I think stepping on one is the best way to get bit. We occasionally see one in our yard but they aren't a problem. Their bites make you really sick but are rarely fatal. Rattlers are rare here and I have only seen one in my lifetime.

That being said, I hate being surprised by a snake and lose all manliness when I am caught off-guard.
Mrtrout likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Very cool video
Old 09-18-2013, 09:23 AM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nir View Post
I would probably have some kind of a heart attack myself! I love snakes (seriously!) but they are pretty good at surprising you sometimes! I remember in my old apartment. A 4' milksnake had escaped... I ended up finding him in a weird way the next day. Me and my girlfriend started a movie, it was dark... and as I pulled a big blanket over us, the snake was in the blanket and fell on my chest! ahah, I nearly died! But was happy that he was found!

Here is a little bugger I produced out of my breeding projects this year!

Click the image to open in full size.
It's a Western Hognose
I can't even begin to imagine that nir!!!
My wife had a shower once, I don't mean she's only showered once, she's not that bad, but she got her towel from the airing cupboard, and wrapped it round her like only women do.
A few moments later I heard a scream, and from the front of the towel the bit between the breasts, a large spider walked out.
She was looking in the mirror at the time.
Now I'm more frightened of them than she is, but from that day forth, we both shake our towels well first.
Your snake looks lovely, behind glass and 3000 miles away.
S.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Here is south central Pennsylvania we have Timber Rattlers and Copperheads. In my favorite stomping grounds, the rattlers are very common. Up the valley Copperheads are more common. I honestly do not like poisonous snakes. Not exactly afraid of them as I can happily fish near them (say within 10 feet or so). If they get closer, well, they meet with a quick demise. I handload shot capsule is my Titanium 44 Mag. They hold 110 number 7 1/2 sized shot, and I put that over 11 grains of Bullseye powder. It'll shred a 2 liter bottle at 20 feet.

As an aside, 2 years ago, the PA Fish Commission surveyed my favorite valley. They found a lack of Timber Rattlers (boo hoo). So a year later, they released 400 (yes, 400 is what we were told) of them in that valley. There is a small post office in that valley that services that rural area, and I am good friends with the Postmaster. Last year he killed 3 large Rattlers in his parking lot. All 3 were within a yard of the handicapped accessible ramp, guess they were looking for rodents living under the ramp. Being a rural "redneck" type area, of which I am a proud member, he hung the carcasses over the rail fence near the office to draw the attention of the local Commission Patrolman. That's how we found out why there were so many all of a sudden. I guess the Fish Commission had extra money to blow.
mridenour likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.