The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 01:48 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough
Default Snakes!?!?

Excuse my stupid question, but I have a fear about snakes, I come out in a sweat just thinking about them, we only have one here in the UK that can give you a nasty bite, the Adder.
I have stumbled across the odd one in my time, but in general I never see any.
What's the situation with you guys, ? I read these fantastic posts of creek fishing, and stunning streams in your country, but I always think of snakes meeting you as you crawl out of the river, or walking through the woods to your chosen river, etc.
Am I right, do you have to be careful over there, how often do you stumble on a Rattle snake, or something nasty.
I have an Australian friend who tells me stories of snakes swimming out to meet him in lakes and rivers, I lose a nights sleep just imagining it.
Just interested, thanks S.
baseman1 and mridenour like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:50 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Snakes!?!?

Another perk living in AK is no snakes!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I am always running into them but have yet to have a bite. The one exception was in Virginia when I stepped on one but he couldn't get through my wading boot.

I truthfully didn't even seem him sitting there. He was just a foot off the bank basking around a rock in about 2 inches of water. Aside from that, they usually flee if given the chance.
Hardyreels and Mrtrout like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:58 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Nothing to loose sleep about.
After being around Snakes for all my life even though I'm not afraid of them I'm still careful when I'm in their Domain as I've a good Idea where they can be found as it doesn't matter where you go there will always be some type of Snakes near The Waters we Fish.
The Eastern Brown Snake over here is The one many of us are careful of as at times they can be very aggressive also some Snakes are curious as they are used to people all we do is give them plenty of space.
Really there is nothing to worry about except to watch where you walk & put your feet.
Usually they will get out of your way except as I said at certain times of the year.
Brian.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about

Snakes are awesome creatures!! Just misunderstood poor little buggers...

I can guarantee you they are more scared of you than you of them! I know I have about 30 snakes at home in the reptile room (second hobby... what can I say)

Just watch where you step and leave snakes alone and they will never bother you.

Cheers!
Hardyreels, Mrtrout and fredaevans like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:09 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Rescued this guy in the middle of the river. We rowed to shore and let it go.
It was too cold to rattle and not swimming very well when we netted it.

I love snakes. This one was a beautiful example of a Prairie Rattlesnake.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:09 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I think about them sometimes while walking to and from the river, especially as I climb through boulder fields. I just try to make noise while I walk and hope the vibrations and noise alert them so they aren't surprised. Don't actively worry about it.
Hardyreels, Mrtrout and yonder like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:11 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I frequent a national park close to my home for most of my fishing. There is a significant population of rattle snakes in the area & I have seen a few in the past several years of fishing. The first one I heard well before seeing it, so carefully side stepped my way through. The second one was a surprise for both of us, luckily for me the snake slithered away rapidly. In both cases, I broke out in a cold sweat & my hands were shaking for quite a while.

The scariest experience was when fishing a smaller mountain stream there, I was fishing a pool when I noticed something swimming towards me out of the corner of my eye. Turned out to be a black water snake (likely non poisonous), it got to within a foot of my thigh when I have scrambled out of the water as fast I could....

Funnily, Bears don't scare me at all. Once on a backcountry hike in the same park, I had a black bear jump out of the side growth and stop 10 feet from me. He snorted a bit but I held my ground. We both looked at each other for what seemed like ages until he slowly turned and ambled away. I suppose, he was well fed and bored

I respect all living creatures but would be perfectly happy if I never again encountered a snake.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nir View Post
Snakes are awesome creatures!! Just misunderstood poor little buggers...

I can guarantee you they are more scared of you than you of them! I know I have about 30 snakes at home in the reptile room (second hobby... what can I say)

Just watch where you step and leave snakes alone and they will never bother you.

Cheers!

I'm sure you are right nir, but never having had snakes to think about on the rivers here, I just wondered.
A guy from the USA was making mention a few weeks ago on the UK forum, that he was stalking a trout, and was so busy concentrating on the fish he literally stood on a snake which punctured his waders, but fortunately didn't make contact with his leg.
I think I would have had a heart attack at that point!!
S.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:41 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

We also run into Bull snakes frequently.
They can get huge and are super cool snakes.

Actually you are far more likely to run into a Bull snake on the rivers of Montana than a rattlesnake. The hissing noise they make is amazingly loud.

Mrtrout, you probably won't enjoy the video. But anyone who digs snakes this is kind of a nice little video of a pissed off Bull snake (assuming I can figure out how to imbed Youtube vids).