The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly shops

No Caber, you did the EXACT right thing. Be calm, not insulting, but for sure let them know it was not only you that left their store, but your money also. I think Americans tend to get 'run over' and take it too easy. One does not have to be a jerk to impress their point.

The only fly shop around here is Orvis in Roanoke. I have to say, they are nice folks. If one of the younger girls are waiting on me,,and obviously not a fly fishing expert, I have plenty of patience till she can get me someone with the proper knowledge. Roanoke Orvis is VERY busy, and I know that ahead of time. They don't mean to make you wait, it's the nature of being the one store for fly fishing in a large area. Always, any situation that I can understand is a situation I can be patient with. I take my spot in line and try to be nice in return till I'm waited on. I love window shopping a few minutes away !

What it boils down to, is human nature is human nature,,and some do not have the best nature on either side of the stream.

People,,go figure eh ? LOL
Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 PM

scott_g is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Scott: I hope you take the time to contact the owner of that fly shop and relay to him your recent experience, sometimes it is hard for a small shop to get really good employees. One bad employee can sink a small business and the owner might not know what is happening until it is too late.

Larry
Larry I will try and bring myself to walk back in the shop and mention it. I guess it is a known fact in the area if you don't pull up in a 60-80k SUV you don't get service and now I am aware of it. Glad I parked on the side and not out the front door! sorry for their sake but most vehicles in the area are 10 years old like mine.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_g View Post
Larry I will try and bring myself to walk back in the shop and mention it. I guess it is a known fact in the area if you don't pull up in a 60-80k SUV you don't get service and now I am aware of it. Glad I parked on the side and not out the front door! sorry for their sake but most vehicles in the area are 10 years old like mine.
If that is the only clientele they wish to associate with then they don't deserve your money, or even an explanation. There are not many places a fly shop could get by with that business model now. Perhaps they can survive without "your kinds" business. And I am quite confident you can enjoy fly fishing without them selling anything to you too.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Over the years I've found The employees of Fly Shops to be great as I've visited many in Australia & The USA however unfortunately I suppose there are exceptions.
The guy might have just been having a bad day however you will know when you visit next.
If he is in the same frame of mind tell him & any others employed there you will in future buy elsewhere & you will advise everyone else to do the same thing which they can't afford to have happen & as Larry has mentioned they will eventually go broke.

Brian.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

People like the ones you described amuse me. I live in Palm Beach County. A lot of rich Yankees who dress rich, but a lot of rich rednecks who dress like the hired help too. My dads ex-girlfriend wanted a new car. Hers (a Lexus) just up and died. So she drove her old beater pickup she used for hauling her Kayak to Lowe's, loaded the back with mulch and showed up grubby and sweaty at the BMW dealership. She gets sneered at by the salesman, is finally allowed a two minute test drive on their little two seater roadster and then the guy says "Well ma'am, when you want to discuss price bring your husband in and we'll look at the paper work". She got so pissed she left, drove to the Jaguar dealership and bought her second choice car, putting the whole lot on her Amex. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Folks who think you're as good as what you own mystify me. Particularly if they're trying to sell me something.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I'm the customer. I expect to be served. I expect to be treated politely. I am polite, and patient, but when I go somewhere to spend my money, I am paying someone to take care of my needs. The money I spend pays their salary or wages.
That's just the way it is. If those conditions are not met, I don't make a scene, I simply spend my money somewhere else next time.
Most people buy from someone they trust. Someone who makes them comfortable will continue to get their business. It's not always about the best price...it's a lot more than that.
There is a lot of competition out there, and I vote with my wallet.
theboz and ia_trouter like this.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:16 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Siege thinks like I do , vote with your wallet! Having been in retail most of my life I can't understand how employees as well as owners can act this way towards potential customers ! To me if you do this you are in the wrong line of business. Retail whether it's a fly shop or a candy store is all about people. Doesn't matter how they dress or what they wear it's the green in their pockets that keep you in business ! Treat them bad and you will not have a business for long! Hey there are many times when some customers can be a pain but you need to learn to take the good with the bad bite your tongue and do what's necessary to keep your business successful! The amount of good people far surpass the butt heads and that should make it easy!
I'm a stickler for being treated the way I would treat a customer and if not my wallet travels.
I have a fly shop 1/2 mile from my house which I bypass on a weekly basis and go 5 miles down the road to another. Why ? Not because he's more expensive or has less of a selection , no because he made the mistake of treating me like **** and I've never gone back! And living in a very busy tourist area every time someone asks me on the stream where's a good shop I send them down the road. But the shame of it is a good businessman should know the repercussions of not giving good service so why would anyone be so foolish! Treat people the way you expect to be treated and you will always make out for the better!
waterfordcreek likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-18-2013, 02:00 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Siege thinks like I do , vote with your wallet! Having been in retail most of my life I can't understand how employees as well as owners can act this way towards potential customers ! To me if you do this you are in the wrong line of business. Retail whether it's a fly shop or a candy store is all about people. Doesn't matter how they dress or what they wear it's the green in their pockets that keep you in business ! Treat them bad and you will not have a business for long! Hey there are many times when some customers can be a pain but you need to learn to take the good with the bad bite your tongue and do what's necessary to keep your business successful! The amount of good people far surpass the butt heads and that should make it easy!
I'm a stickler for being treated the way I would treat a customer and if not my wallet travels.
I have a fly shop 1/2 mile from my house which I bypass on a weekly basis and go 5 miles down the road to another. Why ? Not because he's more expensive or has less of a selection , no because he made the mistake of treating me like **** and I've never gone back! And living in a very busy tourist area every time someone asks me on the stream where's a good shop I send them down the road. But the shame of it is a good businessman should know the repercussions of not giving good service so why would anyone be so foolish! Treat people the way you expect to be treated and you will always make out for the better!

This! I worked for, and wound up as a manager, of an outfitter for years in college and after. Even before the net became a major competitor, rule 1 was that the customer is king. We all knew they could get stuff cheaper from catalogs. The reason they paid us was for the service and experience. We treated them like family when they came in for a backpack or climbing gear. There was coffee, classic blues and a couch plus plenty of magazines. Hell Marilyn Quail (a closet hiker) used to hang out at the shop with her SS detail after dropping the kids off at school on occasion just because she liked the vibe.
The point is that you make people feel like you care, that they're part of the club, (like we do with newbies to fly fishing) and be just as happy to sell someone a $50 reel as a $500 dollar one if its the best choice for them and they'll come back and tell their friends. If you're an arrogant prick? They won't come back, but they will sure tell their friends.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:22 AM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Hey, if you're not a Bro then you can't throw ya know? Joking.....

The shop mentality is a great one to dive in to, that's for sure. I've been fortunate to spend a lot of time in many shops and on the other side of the counter too. Sometimes it's the youngest guys bragging the most and you can't get a word in edge-wise or they seem to have the bead on the river and are more than happy to lend a helping hand and in the right direction.

Sometimes you've walked into a shop and there has been a big blow up, rude customers, a big party night, whathaveyou, and yeah, customer service isn't top notch. But being a common face, talking something other than just what's the hot fly for the day (look to the bins, no need to ask that question ) and those guys (and girls) can be your best friend. If there are a ton of people in the shop than you can bet 1000 things are going on they are doing the best they can. Between guys wanting to try on yet another pair of wading boots, the license machine crashing or not cooperating (or if it's a Cheney, it's telling you they aren't from that state) , guides rolling in and out before you can finish the shuttle form, and for good measure, the sales rack just got knocked over--welcome to 8:00 am. After that morning rush is a pretty good time to find some nice one-on-one help.

Last rambling thought, if you can, shop around. Shops definitely have a "feel" to them. When you find one that suits you, its like finding that swirling pool that always produces.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:28 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

The few fly shops here in central PA are wonderful!

Great, knowledgeable guys who are a pleasure to chat with. The only problem is: most of the fly shops are closing!

But going direct to the manufacturer on the internet is the best way to get exactly what you want. IMHO The last couple years I spent a fortune at Orvis and Cabelas ....... always online!