The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly shops

It is unfortunate that flyfishing breeds surperiority. The shops are the "HUB" of products and information which can lead to some power issues. I have had the displeasure of what you described in more than a couple shops. I also have some very good friends who are flyshop owners on the other end of the spectrum.
Privately owned store fronts are under a lot of strain these days with the big box stores flooding the market and internet shops with anything you could possibly need at half the cost. Customer service is EVERYTHING. I will gladly pay double for sincere friendly customer service.

I have visited exactly one flyshop since Ive lived in Wisconsin and the OWNER had a "No one could possibly know more than me" attitude, and I will never go back to his shop and subject myself to that surperiority complex.
scott_g likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

It's good to draw a line between the shop and the employees. At my dearly departed local fly shop, I was in one day and the guy working the counter was all about telling me about a woman who came in to buy a rod for her husband for Christmas. She had written down the info on the exact rod that the man wanted. This salesman was proud to tell me how he knew that she really wanted a different rod and that he talked her into buying it instead. I mean he was really proud of that. Fortunately, that was not the rule at this shop, so I simply did no business with that individual. He was a personal friend of the owners. The shop is gone now. Value them while the doors are still unlocked.
scott_g likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
At my dearly departed local fly shop, The shop is gone now. Value them while the doors are still unlocked.
dave,

They are all closing in this part of PA also. Here is why:

A while ago I wanted to purchase a 1 wt Orvis Superfine fly rod. I first went to my local Orvis shop (in Lancaster, called the "Evening Rise") and they are nice folks there ..... but the smallest rod they had was a 4 wt! LOL

I got the rod online ($575) and Orvis had a free reel deal at the time! Same thing with tungsten beads, the fly shops only have brass! They never have the newest lines I'm looking for?

So, I visit them when I'm near, but I buy all my expensive stuff on the internet! It's a shame they are all closing, but really they are only a "middle" man to buy from the dealer and increase the cost to make a small profit!

That's why the sales person will try his best to sell you the old stuff he has in stock. That's his expertise? he'll tell you why the stuff he has is better than the stuff you could buy from the dealer direct! ..... "it's the only thing the local fish will bite on!" LOL

God Bless America!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:33 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I first went to my local Orvis shop (in Lancaster, called the "Evening Rise") and they are nice folks there ..... but the smallest rod they had was a 4 wt! LOL
Alas, the Evening Rise is no more as brick and mortar. I think they still operate online though.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:23 PM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

I am lucky in that we have only two fly shops in the St. Louis area. Feather-Craft and T. Hargroves. Ironically they are located just minutes away from each other.

Both places are top notch. F/C has more stock as they do a large amount of on-line business but when it comes to customer service one cannot go wrong with either store. Funny, but every time I run into an angler on the stream who is from St. Louis the first question out of their mouth is "are you a F/C or Hargroves guy?"

I think the "elitist" issue carries over to us. I have met some real turds on the water as well. Those who perpetuate the illusion that fly fishing is only for the anointed few. FFS people! it is fishing we are talking about not an expedition for the holy grail! I like to make a point whenever I run into someone new to the recreation (note, I did not say sport as a sport requires both a ball and a number on ones back) to be as helpful as possible. Short of walking them to a good run I will tell them what type of patterns have been working, what type of water to look for and what the hatch is (if applicable). I will also give them a few patterns that are working if they don't have them. All I ask in return is for them to pay it forward one day.

In the words of Jim "Cookie" Wallace... "Be Kind to Others"

/climbs of the soap box

Joe
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentile View Post

(note, I did not say sport as a sport requires both a ball and a number on ones back)
Skiing
Surfing
Track and field
Swimming
Boxing
....I could go on
Old 09-19-2013, 03:34 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Skiing
Surfing
Track and field
Swimming
Boxing
....I could go on
Those are activities not sport......
Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

What about cabers? What about the 56lb weight... sometimes they're round.

I suppose hammer throw counts in your mind, it has a ball, a 16lb one at the end of a wire, and shot putt is a ball too I suppose.

I assume you're joking, but I find the notion at least a bit annoying if not offensive.

In most of the world they refer to "Track and Field" as "Athletics." Remind me again, what's an "athlete" and what's a "sportsman."

You know what they call things with balls? They call them games... children's games... like Duck Duck Goose, or Go Fish.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:49 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'm just not an athletic supporter.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
Those are activities not sport......
Tell that to the Olympics committee