The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM

scott_g is on a distinguished road
Default Fly shops

Just wanting to get some opinions on fly shop employee attitudes. Stopped by a shop up by the cabin and the sales guy was one rude fellow. A father and son stopped in while I was there and the salesman brushed them off with some greater than thou attitude and ran them off in a matter of minutes. After they left he commented to another customer " what a couple hillbillies!". I do not have a poor choice in clothing and they were not dresses down any more that I was. I left myself and drove down the street about a 1/2 mile and stopped by the next tackle shop that happen to have a great fly specific section and that same father and son were smiling with the salesman from there and ended up walking out with a full set of gear for the both of them. If I had to guess it would have been 1500-2000 bucks worth. Is it people in general that are getting worse or is it a coincidence that the label brand "Fly" guys are? I have been fly fishing since I was a young kid. My uncle took me out and 30 some years later I still enjoy it. I do not want to label anyone so my choice of words might not be politically correct but it seems to me that the "purist" would be better off trying to teach folks there thoughts and fishing practices rather than nosing up and calling folks out as hillbilly's. Maybe I am the only one that thinks this but I hate it when you tell someone you fly fish and you get the look of "oh no not another one of these guy's"! I get the same look when I pull out my Merkel 28ga sxs

Last edited by scott_g; 09-17-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly shops

This happens in any enthusiast-based retail situation. I've been involved in motorcycling, diving, fishing, shooting. and others. There are two ways out-letting management/ownership know that their employees are aholes or just short-circuiting and go to mail/web ordering. Sometimes the owners are the jerks.
mcnerney and pa dave like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:08 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Bad business strategy no doubt. Being from Iowa, I know more than a couple hillbillies, rednecks, whatever you would like to call them. I can tell you one thing for sure, they spend a much higher percentage than average of their disposable income on fishing and hunting gear and apparel.

Nick is right too. Here comes a generalization, but most hobbies tend to breed an elitist attitude, especially among those at the top of the game. I drag race, and I am almost forced to send big money to some a-holes that sell custom cams and such. They treat me decent, but everything is on their terms, and their ego must be stroked if you want their full attention.

There are exceptions though. I'm a noob to flyfishing and am aware of the reputation of some anglers. But fisherman in general are very nice people IMO. This forum especially, and other forums are evidence. I asked for advice, I got people sending me good flies for cheap, inviting me to fish on their turf, giving me gear when I show up, etc, etc. I'll just direct my thoughts, and my business towards those who deserve it. There are vendors on this forum who post on this forum constructively. I'll send my money to them when I can.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I have never had a bad experience in a brick & mortar fly shop, I guess I have been lucky so far. If I ever do...I will leave with a chuckle at their stupidity and spend my money elsewhere. I believe in one simple mantra - 'the shop has the right to not sell me something & similarly I have the right to not buy anything from them'...nothing more, nothing less.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
I have never had a bad experience in a brick & mortar fly shop, I guess I have been lucky so far. If I ever do...I will leave with a chuckle at their stupidity and spend my money elsewhere. I believe in one simple mantra - 'the shop has the right to not sell me something & similarly I have the right to not buy anything from them'...nothing more, nothing less.
I have a similar view. Drove by a shop yesterday and had a chuckle myself. Went in a few times, different employees, and each one acted like they were doing me a favor. Too many other shops in the Denver area and online to spend my time there.

Scott_g, a quick search of the forum will reveal you aren't the first person to have this kind of experience. Verdict tends to be the same - fly shop is foolish for turning away business.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I may look like a criminal..might even talk like one...who knows... but the one thing that puts me off is to be hovered over like they are watching to see if I'm gonna steal something. I never steal and don't like the attitude that I might.
Maybe it's just personal paranoia but that's what that all that 'hovering' feels like to me. I DO like to be left to 'window shop' at leisure,,,I'll eventually find something to purchase...if just to pay for my time and space in the shop.

Mike
mcnerney, yonder and dld like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

However.....

It's a 2 way street.

The fly shop I frequent is staffed by guys who would fall all over you to be helpful. If they are not too busy, they will shoot the breeze, talk fishing, and be as friendly as possible, whether you're spending money or not. It makes you feel welcome and comfortable.

Yet one day 2 weeks ago, some guy came in and asked common questions, then contradicted every answer they gave him. He acted like he knew he was the God of Fly Fishing, and wanted everyone in the shop to know it. The guys working there made themselves scarce, got busy dusting, or found other ways to avoid this jerk.

Sometimes it's not what you leave the store with, but what you brought in with you.

Last edited by siege; 09-17-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

It is a head-scratcher that this kind of elitism still exists given that so many of small businesses are struggling just to survive. Customer service, and developing relationships with actual people are really the two areas that they can hands-down beat the online guys. It still happens though. I haven't run into it an a fly shop yet. I've run into it in plenty of guitar shops though.

A few years back I was looking to spend about $2000-2500 on a new guitar, went into this small shop that I'd been into a few times but I hadn't really had any good experiences at, however I knew they had one of the models that I was leaning towards. I went in there and they were incredibly impatient and rude. I walked out. A couple of days later I drove two hours to another shop to check out a couple other guitars (including the same model I looked at in the first store). I ended up buying a different model from the very patient folks at the other shop, they even knocked off 10% when I told them about my experience at the first place (plus the shop I bought it from was in NH, so no sales tax). Even though I promised myself I'd never go back into that rude shop again I just couldn't help myself, and I took my new guitar and my receipt for $2200 of my hard earned dollars into that shop and had a nice calm talk about why I hadn't spent my money there... the rude guy, who was there again when I came back, turned out to be the owner... and if anything he was even more of a dingus that day; admittedly it was kind of a jerky thing for me to do.

Sorry for the long rant about something not fishing related, but I'm procrastinating.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

My bugaboo with local shops is the " I use this , so it's what I would recommend you buy" mentality.

I love front range anglers in Boulder, if I want to fondle and buy a Sage Circa the service is the same if I am telling them I want a mid tier , lower priced 7wt rod. They know I fish small streams alot and can justify dropping big dollars on that gear, they also recognize I fish big water a few times a year and I'm not dropping $800 on a rod to use once a year.

Last year bought a rod and they say what reel are you putting on it? My answer was a Ross Rhythm I bought off Craigslist and there answer was "sweet that's a awesome reel" . I like that mentality so much I literally won't shop else where.

Similarly I managed a golf shop for years and can play a little. Every summer I take my old driver in get on a launch monitor and see no discernible difference so I don't buy the new technology.This year however I was able to find a club with a shaft I knew would fit my swing better. Gained way better trajectory, more speed, less side spin ......guess what $800 later I walked out with a new driver and 3wood with that shaft.....all because they let me play and didn't force something down my throat.

Really as many choices as we consumers these days retailers and restaurants have got to really watch how they hire and handle situations. I literally haven't been back to several restaurants in years over stupid things like cold fries, slow service. I'm not a complete A$$ but I do prefer warm fries with my chicken sandwich. If you ask me if everything is ok and I tell you my fries are cold......

My favorite story is I am deathly allergic to tomato and avocado. I am at dinner with my wife and order fajitas, I tell the server of my allergy and to please not put those items on the side with my sour cream . Well guess what comes piled on my sour cream....yup you got it. I tell the server and he brings me a side of sour cream. Well the bill comes and he charged $2.95 for sour cream. He refused to credit it since I ordered a side of sour cream. I haven't been back and that was 7 years ago.

By the way I don't subscribe to the customer is always right, there are plenty of tools in this world that deserve zero service but if I'm civil they should make sure there teams try their hardest.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_g View Post
Just wanting to get some opinions on fly shop employee attitudes. Stopped by a shop up by the cabin and the sales guy was one rude fellow. A father and son stopped in while I was there and the salesman brushed them off with some greater than thou attitude and ran them off in a matter of minutes. After they left he commented to another customer " what a couple hillbillies!". I do not have a poor choice in clothing and they were not dresses down any more that I was. I left myself and drove down the street about a 1/2 mile and stopped by the next tackle shop that happen to have a great fly specific section and that same father and son were smiling with the salesman from there and ended up walking out with a full set of gear for the both of them. If I had to guess it would have been 1500-2000 bucks worth. Is it people in general that are getting worse or is it a coincidence that the label brand "Fly" guys are? I have been fly fishing since I was a young kid. My uncle took me out and 30 some years later I still enjoy it. I do not want to label anyone so my choice of words might not be politically correct but it seems to me that the "purist" would be better off trying to teach folks there thoughts and fishing practices rather than nosing up and calling folks out as hillbilly's. Maybe I am the only one that thinks this but I hate it when you tell someone you fly fish and you get the look of "oh no not another one of these guy's"! I get the same look when I pull out my Merkel 28ga sxs
Scott: I hope you take the time to contact the owner of that fly shop and relay to him your recent experience, sometimes it is hard for a small shop to get really good employees. One bad employee can sink a small business and the owner might not know what is happening until it is too late.

Larry