The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 8 Post By 1move
  • 2 Post By jbird
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By mridenour
  • 1 Post By stimulator2
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about
Default First Guided Trip Ever

This past weekend my fiancÚ and I took a guided boat trip down a local river. We took up fly fishing about a year ago and have been hard at it, so far we have had great days and had been skunked quite a few times until we learned what to look for and the more we got out there the better we got.

We decided that we would take a guided trip as we would eventually like to get a boat but were not sure how things would go and we truly wanted to learn from a local guide that had a lot of knowledge.

We booked the trip with one of our favourite fly shops and the floods hit our city bad so we had to delay it until September. The guide has been very helpful over the past 2 years since we started visiting the shop (as he works there part time) and has been a wealth of information. We built a great friendship with him so he was very kind to us. We came open minded without expectations to catch fish as we wanted to learn. Boy did our friend Jason deliver, we had a great time and as bad as the river was fishing due to the floods he still found fish and we netted 4 fish and caught about 10ish between the two of us, but they would unhook as we did not fish with barbs so it was very difficult to keep them on. We went to a small honey hole and there were 3 large rainbow trout in there, we snuck up behind them and I had my first try at fly fishing on a dry fly, a small black ant with white wings on 5X tippet. These fish ranged from 18"-22" and I worked really hard at it to catch this fish and ohh man the fish swam about 5-6 feet to smash my dry and it was game on!!! SMASH! he ate it, and I hooked him and boy was in for a good fight. The 4 fish that we netted I caught 2 on a dry and it was amazing. It ended up being a 14 hour day and it was awesome! Here are some photos from the trip, Hope you enjoy!

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by 1move; 09-18-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Guided Trip Ever

Thats spectacular! I can sense your excitement in your post. 14 hrs?!?! Thats fantastic! That is some serious guiding overtime! Very nice of him
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

weather is not always in your favor for fishing, great that you were able to manage a good day despite. congrats !!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It looks and sounds as though you had a terrific day on the water. High water seems to be a constant theme for many areas of the country these days and I don't envy the fellow guiding after the flooding. I tried to do some fishing yesterday and found that the water is just high enough to make crossing the creek feel unsafe. Next trip I take the boat..............

Great report, glad to see you are having fun fly fishing!

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-18-2013, 01:03 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Great report and beautiful fish! Thanks for posting.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:31 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Looks like you had a great day nice report.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome float trip and report, congrats! I can see a dry fly addiction in your future!

Larry
yonder likes this.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:22 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone for your wonderful responses!

We are very happy that our city has recovered and that there is still fish out there for us to catch. We had a blast on the trip and learned a lot from our friend/guide!

Here are a few photos of what our rivers and city went through in the last few months. People are still recovering but it is amazing that people come together. A group of fly fishermen got together here and went to rescue fish that were stuck and there was no way out for them.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM

hoyt3065 is on a distinguished road

wow, stories like this one make me happy to be taking up the sport.. You can tell from the reading how great of a time you guys had.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Location: The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blue line
motorshooter is on a distinguished road

Holy shnikies! what city is that?