The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfitz View Post
The only thing that I am worried about is that one of the female ferrules is split.
This is actually a serious problem for the integrity of the rod. The torque from casting will amplify this defect. I would most definitely get the rod valued before you start casting it. If it is valuable, I would have a rod maker fix the ferrule before you use the rod. If its not very valuable, just wrap the ferrule with a little duct tape and off ye go
Old 09-18-2013, 04:43 PM

flyfitz is on a distinguished road

Ok so upon further inspection, the rod is a Montague 1hf highland fly. 8 1/2 ft
Still looking for the reel
Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I just looked at Ebay, and suggest you take a look, too. The one Montague Highland I saw has about 2 days to go, and current high bid is about 41 bucks. Looks like if you get the feurrel issue handled, it would be time to take the 'ol girl to the water.
I have a buddy who took a rod with a similar issue to a gunsmith he knew. He couldn't find a rod builder at the time, and the 'smith had done some work for him previously. He silver soldered the furell , reamed the inside smooth, and buffed everything up. You couldn't see the repair, and it was stronger than when ir was new. I doubt it cost much, and held up untill he sold the rod a few years later.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:30 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Definitely plan on upgrading the rod. Bamboo is not very beginner friendly. Bamboo rods all have individual personalities. They require a slow, well timed stroke. They are much heavier than modern graphite and can sometimes be tricky to line correctly. I say this because it can be easy to get frustrated early on if your fighting your equipment.