The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 PM

flyfitz is on a distinguished road
Default Introduction

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I am just starting to get into fly fishing, and just trying to read as much as I can and not get to overwhelmed. I will be fishing mostly SE Ohio bass,crappie,etc. They do stock trout in a couple place close by so maybe give that a shot next year. I currently will be using a bamboo rod that my dad had laying around and a reel that he is still looking for(boxed up in a recent move). It's pretty old, not even sure why he has it or even got it no one I know of has ever fly fished. But it's free so I'll take it.
mcnerney and williamhj like this.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:10 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:14 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

A bamboo rod and old fly reel? Guard that thing with your life, a lot of collectors might be following you around Welcome to the sport and have fun!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:40 PM

flyfitz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
A bamboo rod and old fly reel? Guard that thing with your life, a lot of collectors might be following you around Welcome to the sport and have fun!
I know. I almost hate to use it the rod is in pretty good shape. The only thing that I am worried about is that one of the female ferrules is split. it still seems tight so i dont know. I have to do a little more investigating on it to see exactly what it is. I haven't seen the reel yet. All I know is that my dad says its a pflueger of some sort. My thought was to just use the free stuff to see if I even like it then invest in some newer stuff
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfitz View Post
I know. I almost hate to use it the rod is in pretty good shape. The only thing that I am worried about is that one of the female ferrules is split. it still seems tight so i dont know. I have to do a little more investigating on it to see exactly what it is. I haven't seen the reel yet. All I know is that my dad says its a pflueger of some sort. My thought was to just use the free stuff to see if I even like it then invest in some newer stuff
Bamboo? Its a POS. I'll trade you a modern fiber glass rod for it, even money, you pay shipping. Welcome aboard and good luck!

PS Seriously, if you're throwing heavy bass stuff an old bamboo rod wouldn't be my first choice. The Pflueger reel is fine and no need to do anything about that, just get a decent line and some Dacron backing. But I would look at a low dollar but quality rod from some place like Cabelea's, Temple Fork, LL Bean, Sierra Trading Post, or Albright in the 6-8 weight range, a fast action six if you'll spend a lot of time chasing trout and pan fish. You should be able to get out the door for les than a hundred bucks.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by fq13; 09-17-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

First off, welcome to the forum. Whatever it is you want to know about flyfishing, somebody here can help you with it.
Now, on to the rod. A lot of cheap low quality bamboo rods found their way to the USA after WWII. Inexpensive, hardware store rods that were available before fiberglass. There are also a number of very high quality bamboo rods that command very high prices. I might suggest that you post the info from the writing on the rod, here. Someone can give you an idea of it's value. And, a picture is still worth a thousand words. You may want to take it to a local fly shop, too. It would be a shame to ruin a classic, or you may just want to fix the bad ferruel and enjoy the rod.
Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the experience !
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

HI,

Welcome to the forum; you will find the group very helpful. Don't hesitate to ask questions as you start to get the gear together, you'll have some................

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 AM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.

Glad to see someone join from my neck of the woods.

Madd river is a decent but crowded place for stocked browns.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-18-2013, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum.... and to the addiction
Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard! Like the others have said, post the info on your cane rod and someone here will probably have a good idea on the value.

Larry

Larry