The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 AM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road
Default new biggest fish

This weekend I got the new biggest fish on a flyrod. This is the only thing caught all day. I cant figure that out, I fished last 4 weekends at same place and caught alot of fish. Saturday not even a bite except this one, Does anyone have opinion as to why they just quit biting? It was 10 degrees warmer but water still same as always.

Attachment 570
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feb 9.jpg (80.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: new biggest fish

Hi Larry,

So you want to know why fish bites sometimes and not others. If you figure that out we would all like to know.

I suspect that what ever the fish were feeding on has passed. Did you use the same flies? Most times we would use the same flies that worked before. It may have been a good time to change to different flies. Or, the same flies in bigger or smaller sizes. This would have been one of those times to experiment with a lot of different flies. If you were fishing surface flies you should have tried sub-surface flies.

With out knowing the exact circumstances I don't know what to tell you. It just may have been one of those days.

Frank
Old 02-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Larry,
I agree with what Frank is saying, it is difficult to answer without knowing more about the overall conditions.
Perhaps the fish have moved?

It sounds like something has changed, when this happens we have to figure it out and adapt to it. I suspect the fish are still feeding, you just have to figure out what it is they want now.

Glad you caught a 'new' personal record, very nice fish. What did he eat? a streamer?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Catching =
5% being there
5% what you present
5% how you present it
And the remaining 85% is more or less luck, or your karma equity balance with the fish gods, depending on how you choose to look at it

TL's~
Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 PM

The same white streamer I caught the fish on last week is what I got that one on, I know the good and bad of fishing, I guess my question was would the tempature change of 10-15 degrees warmer cause the fish not to bite same flies?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysmith9865 View Post
The same white streamer I caught the fish on last week is what I got that one on, I know the good and bad of fishing, I guess my question was would the tempature change of 10-15 degrees warmer cause the fish not to bite same flies?
Larry,

Assuming that 10-15 warmer means the same in Casper as it does here (still below 40), and that you're talking air temp and not water temp, my best guess is that unless you had very strong sun in relatively slow shallow water, that it didn't make much of a difference due to there probably not being a significant difference in the water temps. Time of day / lighting conditions or flow transitions may have been a bigger variable than the temp.

TL's~
Old 02-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, yes with warmer temps you will typically get more sunlight and light penetration into the water, that can definately change feeding patterns.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I was late on this one, but that is exactly what I was going to ask. Was there a storm coming in or the night before, the air and water temp. I know it there is a pressure front, that I do better with deepwer flies and there isn't a nice hatch.
To me, weather plays a real big part of fish or no fish, specially in the winter.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 AM

No storms, no real change in weather except air temp was 10 degrees higher. I guess I would understand if there was a change for a week or so. But wasnt. the fish were there to we spotted them off of bridge, Threw everything at them and not even a nibble. Same place as always to. I guess I am asking the immpossible question. I was just curious, This is the first year I flyfished in Jan-Feb. I locked all spinning rods up they wont get used this year at all. Total FLyfishing year for me, So I am trying to learn as much as possible. I have my goal set at a 6+ pound trout.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Larry, what about flow changes, and time of day? Hope you get your 6#er, man!