The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM

stuck_in_indy is on a distinguished road
Default Recommendations for late May fishing in MT,ID,WY

Hello,

I normally take my annual fly fishing trip out west anytime between mid July to just after Labor Day. Next year, the only window of opportunity I will have will be between May 15 - May 30th. Any suggestions on where to fish then if you are interested in:
1) small,medium stream trout fishing
2) wading only
3) if possible, some sort of a hatch going on, even if its midges

I wouldn't mind trying the Paradise Valley spring creeks but looks like it is between hatches then?? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Recommendations for late May fishing in MT,ID,WY

You will most likely hit the beginning or middle of run-off.
If I was planning a trip to Montana I would say from around May 10 to June 10 would be just about the worst time to go though there will still be some tailwaters available and the spring creeks.

You might get lucky and be able to fish the caddis fly hatch on the Yellowstone but odds would be against it unless things really cool off in late May (not likely).

It will still be going on the Lower Madison which would stand a much better chance of being fishable.

I can't speak for the Missoula area but I would assume it too would be, for most part, completely blown out in mid to late May.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:04 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

General fishing season in Idaho opens Memorial Day weekend. You might want to check the regulations in the areas you want to visit so you arrive while fishing is open.If you would like an Idaho regulation booklet, PM me, and I'll pick one up and mail to you.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Yep, your options are limited during that time frame. Tailwaters and spring creeks are about it for being likely fishable. As for the Paradise Valley spring creeks, seems like something is always hatching there...although there may not be any "scheduled" hatches, there are usually a few bugs of whatever species coming off. Sometimes you'll see big browns rising in backwaters and slow pools and you can't see anything actually floating on the water...which can be frustrating, to say the least.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I highly recommend the Guide to Fly fishing Idaho -Ken Retalic and Rocky Barker. It's thick. It's authoritative. And it probably contains the info you want.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey