The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 06:17 PM

Location: The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blue line
motorshooter is on a distinguished road
Default I guess thats some sort of a "hat trick"

I hit the water after work on Tuesday slapping the water for bass and caught three snake heads My first snake head on a fly rod and I nailed three

I dispatched all three and threw them up on the point where I was fishing. About an hour later I saw the crows feasting on them. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

Ta-da!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I guess thats some sort of a "hat trick"

Holy Smokes! That was an outstanding outing, I've heard all these stories about how hard Snake Heads are to catch on a fly rod, congrats! What weight fly rod were you using and what pattern?

Larry

Old 09-19-2013, 06:24 PM

I was swinging my Orvis 5wt, with a 10lb leader and a #2 Black bead head woolly bugger with a purple tail. They can't be that hard to catch if I nailed three fishing for bass
Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the stars were all in alignment, I've never fished for them, but I have heard that others that try to target them have had difficult times in getting them to eat.

Larry

Old 09-19-2013, 06:45 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Interesting. Wheraboutz are you located?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

No wanton waste laws where you live?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
"Kill the snakeheads you catch" From our DNR

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Interesting. Wheraboutz are you located?
Northern VA, I live on a creek that empties into the Potomac River.
Liphookedau and jbird like this.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 PM

rjw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Most places are trying to get rid of em. He definitely did the right thing, they destroy native habitats
Old 09-20-2013, 12:58 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw View Post
Most places are trying to get rid of em. He definitely did the right thing, they destroy native habitats
Yep in Florida it a very hefty fine if they catch you with a live one. The state wants them gone.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Most invasive species don't enjoy protection under such laws. Here in my part of Alaska Pike are non native / invasive and we have a terminal fishery for them, we kill every pike brought to hand. I leave mine along the lake shore and they are quickly policed up by fox and bears.

Back in June the eagles up at Wrong Branch Creek had 2 babies in the nest and we were dropping about a dozen or more pike each week just across from the nest tree for the family. It got to the point that by the end of June when I drove up the creek the eagles would come flying when they heard the boat coming. Pretty cool to see how quick they caught on to the dinner bell being the 90 horse Honda on the boat

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;