The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM

Location: The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blue line
motorshooter is on a distinguished road
Default Going to the dogs?

Who has brought their K-9 buddy out to a stream with them when fly fishing, any problems?
Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Going to the dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorshooter View Post
Who has brought their K-9 buddy out to a stream with them when fly fishing, any problems?
Yes and yes. I no longer take a dog with me even to the secret lake where I am fishing all alone. My stupid Chesapeake thinks she has to be in the water whenever there is water present whether it is a lake or a puddle.
uinta fish likes this.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My last dog, didn't like the water much so he would "high step" through it. Not too stealthy.
He did understand why we were there though and would "point" out rising fish.

Before him was a smart old fellow. I'd take the baby with me and set up a crib stream-side and the dog would baby sit, never leaving his side.
One day when it was just the dog and I, he just laid out in the sun while I fished all afternoon. I knew where he was at the end of the day because I could see where the vultures were circling
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:29 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

We've have a guy around here who brings his dog with him and the dog has broken many rods by getting tangled in the line while people have been landing rather large fish aka salmon. The guy never owns up to it and refuses to even pay the shipping to the rod company to have replacement work done. If I see him come and the "dog" (a bull mastiff) is with him I let him know as politely as I can that he and his dog are not welcome to be around while I fish.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 09-20-2013, 02:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Other than the 'odd off' I don't go anywhere without my Yellow Lab. Summer heat and I have to be very selective as to 'where and how long.'

He even knows the streets we drive on ... 15 (+/-) pound head on my shoulder as we make the last turns. 0300'ish and a large cold nose in my ear; BREAKFAST WILL NOW BE SERVED.

Which reminds me, we picked up another large bag of Fuzz Face food this afternoon. Must take out of the back of the Jeep.
mcnerney, baseman1, yonder and 1 others like this.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 PM

paflyfisher is on a distinguished road

Mridenour sounds like any good Chesapeake i know, love them to death but they are possessed by the water
Old 09-20-2013, 10:28 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Mine looks like a l Lab, and there may be some Lab in there, but behavior-wise, she's all hound. All she wants to do is follow her nose. So, she bears watching all the time and can't be off leash. That's probably how she went stray and came to be at the pound where we got her.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

If they are in the boat with you make sure you put your flies away back into the box instead of the classic pockets where spent flies go to die...they'll end up in paws/nose/mouth you name it. Lesson learned. However, besides that they're a great companion to have!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 AM

heelerdog is on a distinguished road

Take mine every time. He's a German Shorthair, and a great partner. I have him trained with hand signals, as well as verbal and whistles. He even pulled down a compliment from a Game Warden that was watching us. He is also great at seeing everything (such as bear, deer) way before I do. He is even good for comic relief. Last fall he saw his first river otter. He was obviously quite fascinated as every time I stopped to fish he would stare at the water as if willing another to pop up. He was sitting on a snow covered boulder staring at the water, not noticing he was ever so slowly sliding off the boulder. He slid in, and I shortened the trip by several hours because he looked so pathetic and cold.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:55 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

If the l'l dawg don't go- I don't go. She's too much fun to not bring along. Yes, she's imperfect, like her Master.

CAB