The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 09:24 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Grilled trout, blah, how do you cook them?

This thread should be locked and deleted.

Ya'll STARVIN' me to-death !

I release all wild and native fish, except for some sunfish when are over abundant anyways. I do keep a few stockers at times because I love the taste of trout. Toni cooks them,,,not me,,,and I can't give you a receipe,,but it involves spices, something she coats them with,,and mostly bakes them. Helps cut down that bad bad grease consumption. However, I do love a skillet of fried trout, just don't eat'em that way much anymore.

I've been toying with the idea of a smoker myself. Never did much of that but from what I read,,,it's the cats meow for fish.

Mike
Old 09-20-2013, 09:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

mike,
smoked trout is sooo good.
a toasted bagel, a smear of light cream
cheese, said smoked trout and some thin
sliced red onion with a topper of capers

casey
theboz and fly_guy12955 like this.

ARFE
Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

I like trout and kokanee smoked, over alder or apple wood. But for shore lunch, I have one of those hinged, long handled grill baskets. Rub the fish with brown sugar, coarse ground black pepper and a little garlic powder. Grill over slow coals til fish flakes when touched. A few crackers and your favorite beverage, and back to fishing !
You can do the same thing on your grill at home, just cook 'em slow to let the flavor develop.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 PM

luked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Haven't kept a trout in a long time but rolled in corn meal and pan fried is the way to go. I've done the tin foil lemon garlic olive oil deal too but I prefer em pan fried. Personally I think there are better tasting fish.

Cheers,
Mike
same here almost
I love them pan fried but I use Andy's white fish mix. I leave te skin on the filet and when some peel the skin off and all the blackish stuff that gives them the fishy taste comes right off
love them that way but fry with low heat they fry fast
Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
shore lunch! love it

casey
Not much better than shore lunch!! We did that this summer in Alaska. Caught our limit of Sockeye, filleted them up, built a fire and had an AWESOME salmon dinner right on the shore by camp
von behr, fredaevans and yonder like this.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:09 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

My friend Rod can smoke up a MEAN trout. It is my favorite way to eat them. Once in awhile I will eat one using the tinfoil method. Pretty good...but not as good as smoked.

-Chase
Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

I generally C@R trout, but this is a recipe I use for store bought butterflied, or filleted trout. I also use it for sea trout, which I do keep and eat as they're plentiful.

Almond Sage Trout

Two TB slivered or thin sliced almonds (you find them in the spice aisle)
1 1/12 t of dried sage
sifted flour (I use the pre sifted stuff in the blue shakers)
salt
pepper
trout
butter
lemon

Toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat shaking once or twice until you can just begin to smell them. DO NOT OVER COOK (EG never turn your back on them, its a three minute job) !
Transfer to paper towels and let cool.

Pulse nuts in a food chopper until ground, but not pureed. Do this in short pulses so they don't get too hot and leach their oils.

Salt and pepper the trout. Score the skin to prevent curling if you leave it on. I do as I think it adds moisture.

Spread the flour on a plate and mix in the nuts and sage.

Lightly dredge the trout.

Sautee I butter over medium heat.

Enjoy with a nice white wine or a hoppy ale.

Add a small squeeze of lemon as you take them off the heat.
fredaevans, yonder and gr8outdoorz like this.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
Step 1......build a good fire streamside.....
Step 2......grease a cast iron skillet......
Step 3......roll the trout in "house autry" seasoning.....
Step 4......fry till done.........
Step 5......add bread, hot sauce, and a good craft brewed IPA!!!!
Step 6......add optional accessories as the cooler and ice allow........
One thing I could never figure out ... Guide is charging your $350.00 - $450.00 for the day and he can't even pack a small cooler for lunch for the three of you? Meats, a loaf of bread and a small bottles of (fill in the blanks), sliced tamotto and red Onion in Tupperware containers.

Steve Buckner will never remember this trip but a business man from the UK and I drive up and pick him up at the Portland airport. Floated for two days and talked business ... never hooked a bloody fish. But at noon'ish Steve pull over the boat and pull out this small BBQ. Hamburgers and a side salad.

Fellow and I did millions of dollars of straight forward business there after. Steve? A $500.00 tip. Worth every penny.
yonder likes this.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:31 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I have a nice smoker. I think I will try that method first, then move on to some of the other suggestions. Guess I need to catch more trout I love fried foods, but making a conscious effort to eat the bad stuff less frequently now that I am 50.

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Wrap them in bacon and charcoal until the bacon is done, then throw away the trout and eat the bacon....

Dave
lol, should I have eggs, pancakes and coffee cooking at the same time?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:42 AM

dhaynes has a spectacular aura aboutdhaynes has a spectacular aura about

Back in my teen years (oh so many years ago) I'd wake up before dawn, borrow my father's truck and head off to the river. I'd fish until time to get the truck back in time for work. I'd keep two trout (stocker rainbows), clean them on the river bank, and head home. There I'd coat them in corn meal and fry them in bacon grease. And I'd scramble some eggs on the side and make toast...breakfast.

I've eaten trout prepared a lot of ways since then but I don't think any way of cooking can compare to those breakfast trout!
fredaevans and yonder like this.