The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Grilled trout, blah, how do you cook them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8outdoorz View Post
Place in foil with lemon pepper, garlic, butter, olive oil. Wrap closed and smoke on the grill till done (10-15 min)
That's what works best for me.

The second best is to fry, skin on, in olive oil, but at a temperature that's pretty low.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:48 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
That's what works best for me.

The second best is to fry, skin on, in olive oil, but at a temperature that's pretty low.
Low temp? That is just the opposite of what I have been advised for other species. I always thought that a quick cook on the breading would keep the oil from saturating the meat. You did not mention breading though.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:42 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Low temp? That is just the opposite of what I have been advised for other species. I always thought that a quick cook on the breading would keep the oil from saturating the meat. You did not mention breading though.
I know.

But, trout are pretty moist fish. If you cook them at a too-high temperature all you do is burn the outside before the inside can get cooked the way you want.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:02 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I try not too. If I have to, smoking with a homemade horseradish sauce. That way, they taste like horseradish. if your a trout lover. I do love fishing for them though.