The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 06:02 PM

ia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to all
Default Grilled trout, blah, how do you cook them?

First of all, I am a catch and release guy 95% of the time so let's not go there please. Not going to harvest the few wild brown trout we have here. These are stocked hatchery rainbows with no chance of LT survival. I'm pretty good at grilling, but lunch was underwhelming today. I got a few MN walleye and pike fillets in the freezer, but would like to enjoy some trout 3-4 times a year. How do you guys/gals cook them?
Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grilled trout, blah, how do you cook them?

I keep some stiockers every year but I only make them one way , I smoke them . First I marinate them then I cold smoke the fillets ( leave the skin on) . Serve them on crackers with cream cheese and a few cold ones a great treat!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-20-2013, 06:28 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
First of all, I am a catch and release guy 95% of the time so let's not go there please. Not going to harvest the few wild brown trout we have here. These are stocked hatchery rainbows with no chance of LT survival. I'm pretty good at grilling, but lunch was underwhelming today. I got a few MN walleye and pike fillets in the freezer, but would like to enjoy some trout 3-4 times a year. How do you guys/gals cook them?
2 ways:
1) Place in foil with lemon pepper, garlic, butter, olive oil. Wrap closed and smoke on the grill till done (10-15 min)
2) Filet leaving skin on. Cover non-skin side with Creole or Blacken season. Heat cast iron skillet to Med on stove. Place Blackened fillets seasoning down/skin up & cook till seasoning creates a crust (about 5-7 min). Have oven preheated to 350*F. Once crust is formed, flip to skin side down & place in oven till done (5-10 min).

Haven't cooked trout in a LONG time but spent 12 years as a chef. Its like riding a bike
Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8outdoorz View Post
2 ways:
1) Place in foil with lemon pepper, garlic, butter, olive oil. Wrap closed and smoke on the grill till done (10-15 min)
2) Filet leaving skin on. Cover non-skin side with Creole or Blacken season. Heat cast iron skillet to Med on stove. Place Blackened fillets seasoning down/skin up & cook till seasoning creates a crust (about 5-7 min). Have oven preheated to 350*F. Once crust is formed, flip to skin side down & place in oven till done (5-10 min).

Haven't cooked trout in a LONG time but spent 12 years as a chef. Its like riding a bike
I like this Man, like very, very much. Six of us with a Steelhead going in the MH oven and a huge salad on the table. Blue Cheese, Russian and some other kind of salad dressing ready to go. Pull that pan out of the oven and JOY! Baked Potatoes with gobs of sour cream.

And I didn't even catch the fish.

God did we all sleep those nights ... single malts probably helped?

I cooked, someone did the clean up ... SNORE! God could this one guy SNORE. CHAIN SAW! But first Guy to give you a hug in the morning. His 'name' was "Two Bear!!!" and there's a heck of a good story behind that.
yonder and gr8outdoorz like this.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8outdoorz View Post
2 ways:

I've always had great results with method #1. You can't go wrong with this technique. Good post.

-VB
yonder likes this.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:30 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

when i do keep trout i like to smoke them 90% of the time.
brine for 2 hours than smoke for a day.
Click the image to open in full size.

i also like them rolled in cornmeal and pan fried on occasion.

casey
fyshstykr, theboz, yonder and 1 others like this.

ARFE
Old 09-20-2013, 07:37 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Haven't kept a trout in a long time but rolled in corn meal and pan fried is the way to go. I've done the tin foil lemon garlic olive oil deal too but I prefer em pan fried. Personally I think there are better tasting fish.

Cheers,
Mike
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Wrap them in bacon and charcoal until the bacon is done, then throw away the trout and eat the bacon, not bad if you smother the bacon with mayonnaise between two slices of bread. I will only eat stockers if they are brined and smoked but here in Arkansas even the so-called natives (brookies and browns) aren't fit to eat. Must be attributed to what they eat as the native species in Montana are delicate mouth watering morsels.

Dave
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:52 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Step 1......build a good fire streamside.....
Step 2......grease a cast iron skillet......
Step 3......roll the trout in "house autry" seasoning.....
Step 4......fry till done.........
Step 5......add bread, hot sauce, and a good craft brewed IPA!!!!
Step 6......add optional accessories as the cooler and ice allow........
von behr and gr8outdoorz like this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
Step 1......build a good fire streamside.....
Step 2......grease a cast iron skillet......
Step 3......roll the trout in "house autry" seasoning.....
Step 4......fry till done.........
Step 5......add bread, hot sauce, and a good craft brewed IPA!!!!
Step 6......add optional accessories as the cooler and ice allow........
shore lunch! love it

casey
von behr and yonder like this.

ARFE