The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:03 PM

stonum is on a distinguished road
Default Caught a decent one (for me anyway)

Caught a pretty good one at Bennett Springs..... At least pretty good for a guy like me who never touched a flyrod till a few months ago....When I hooked em', a couple seconds went by, and then I realized it was heavier then my usual catches, so instead of pulling the flyline in by hand and netting it, I walked briskly to shore and kept on walking until I dragged it up onto the shore....Didn't want to mess around with it jumping off the hook....I never knew this fly-rod fishing was this much fun!....I made a youtube video of it.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04J5YApNqCc
Old 09-20-2013, 08:00 PM

hoyt3065 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Caught a decent one (for me anyway)

Congrats! Nice fish, I'm just getting into fly fishing as well, and haven't even tossed a line in the water yet. I'm loving the pictures on here.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 AM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

What's with sticking a big green hook through the trouts jaw, and keeping them alive?
Far more humane to kill them first I would have thought, respect for your quarry and all that.
S.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:32 AM

crazy4oldcars is on a distinguished road

mrtrout,
No ice chest = wasted, dead fish.

Stonum, Nice football. Looks like a good days fishing.

Kirk
Old 09-21-2013, 02:01 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4oldcars View Post
mrtrout,
No ice chest = wasted, dead fish.

Stonum, Nice football. Looks like a good days fishing.

Kirk
Surely not Kirk? Placed in a bass bag and kept in the water, even a keep net.
But ramming a large hook through the jaw and letting them wriggle all day just seems totally wrong to me.
What about the larger ones he had killed, are they going to be off before he gets home?
S.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:30 PM

stonum is on a distinguished road

Pushing that green stringer hook thru the membrane doesnt seem to effect them......they don't react when I do it.....I don't think there's any nerves in that membrane area.....I think it's better then srtinging them thru the gills.....then I place em' back in the cold, spring-fed stream, and I revive em' a little by holding them and pushing them back and forth in the water.....Then they just swim in place, looking rather calm really......Lots of times,2 or 3 free-swimming, uncaught trout swim up to them and begin swimming in place right alongside the ones on the stringer...... If you got dead ones on the stringer, they lose their pretty color and curl up, and look kinda ugly.....If I'm gonna be fishing for several hours, I like to see my caught fish alive and healthy until I'm done fishing......I know one thing for sure..I treat em' a lot better then lots of other people I've seen at the stream.....I filleted the big one and took him to my brothers little farm, where his wife traded me some fresh chicken eggs for the trout.........Anyway, this picture shows the fate of the three 12-inchers I caught[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 09-21-2013, 03:55 PM

crazy4oldcars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtrout View Post
Surely not Kirk? Placed in a bass bag and kept in the water, even a keep net.
But ramming a large hook through the jaw and letting them wriggle all day just seems totally wrong to me.
What about the larger ones he had killed, are they going to be off before he gets home?
S.
I was offering up a possible explanation. I don't have finer feelings for fish or other game animals. I should imagine the difference is pretty immaterial to the fish as well. If the concern is for their well-being, we should just cut our hooks off at the bend and "Count Coup", with a strike being the only consideration.
I have no objection (not that it should matter to you) if thinking that way helps you enjoy the sport more. It just doesn't come in to my consideration.
I know, I'm a phillistine, but there you have it.

Nice looking meal, stonum. Sorry to have cluttered up you thread.

Regards,

Kirk

Last edited by crazy4oldcars; 09-21-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Forgot why I was here.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:44 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonum View Post
Pushing that green stringer hook thru the membrane doesnt seem to effect them......they don't react when I do it.....I don't think there's any nerves in that membrane area.....I think it's better then srtinging them thru the gills.....then I place em' back in the cold, spring-fed stream, and I revive em' a little by holding them and pushing them back and forth in the water.....Then they just swim in place, looking rather calm really......Lots of times,2 or 3 free-swimming, uncaught trout swim up to them and begin swimming in place right alongside the ones on the stringer...... If you got dead ones on the stringer, they lose their pretty color and curl up, and look kinda ugly.....If I'm gonna be fishing for several hours, I like to see my caught fish alive and healthy until I'm done fishing......I know one thing for sure..I treat em' a lot better then lots of other people I've seen at the stream.....I filleted the big one and took him to my brothers little farm, where his wife traded me some fresh chicken eggs for the trout.........Anyway, this picture shows the fate of the three 12-inchers I caught[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Dang! That looks tasty!! And I'm not even hungry!

Those fish look like planted hatchery trout. No worries on how you treated them.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:00 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

These pics of this wonderful food is gonna be the death of me yet...I'll sleep walk dreaming of that skillet tonite !

Mike