The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 02:46 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do consider a full set

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt3065 View Post
okay, so can someone take a few minutes to explain when, for an example, more than one 5WT would be beneficial.. and what the differences in the set up may be. longer and shorter poles for wider and narrower rivers or casting room. what to use when accuracy is more important than distance etc...
in my case, I have an 8'6" CT that I use for dry flies and dry/dropper rigs, especially at closer range. I have a 9' Sage VT2 (strong all around rod) that I use on bigger rivers for all purpose fishing and an old 9'6" Sage Fli used for heavy nymphing with bobbers and such chasing light steelhead. The VT2 would work in place of the 9'6" rod, but came along last. The real contrast is between the CT and both sages...they are really not interchangeable to me...hope that helps...
oarfish likes this.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:55 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
and maybe a 8'6"-7WT for the lakes. Is 7 a good choice for the largemouth or should i step it up to 8WT
It depends on what you are throwing. I throw enormous poppers for largemouth and can do it with a 7. My daughter uses an 8wt for them. Many of my trout fishing friends can't throw them with anything.

But they are only part-time fishermen and do not double haul.

Edit For lakes I would can the 8'6" idea and go with a 9'. Especially from a kayak, regardless of rod
weight rating.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:57 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

If just starting out, I'd go 4, 6, and 8. A possible 3 might get in later.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:47 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I have 3 5wt's, (different brands) just because I'm trying to find the speed or flex/action that suits my cast the best and I'm usually the odd ball so... But I have a newly acquired 4wt that I have not cast yet. It is the same brand as one of the 5wt's tho.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:15 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

For me it would be: 0, 1, 2, 3
Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 PM

scott_g is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Just how big are these bass?

7-8 wt is what lots of salt guys use to catch 30" striped bass.
I would think it is more about the cover that is fished rather than size of the bass. Thick Lilly and heavy downed tree cover will take a little more backbone than just about any 5wt could offer.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
seems to me it's not like golf clubs (a set?) and what you consider buying should be designed to maximize opportunities for enjoyment where you fish and how you like to do it. I have three very different 5 wts for very different purposes. I also have a 2 and two very different 3 wts...all fished in differring circumstances. In my mind you're better to think about which rods fit your needs rather than thinking about creating a set...2 cents...
Totally agree here. Weight is only the measure of the line the rod can throw, but it tells you nothing about the power, accuracy, distance or feel of the rod. Different lengths, materials, tapers and flex can yield very different results.
oarfish likes this.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

You can do a lot of work and have a good time fishing everything from pumpkinseeds to salmon with a 5 and an 8.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:24 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I like the even numbered rods better. To me they seem more purpose built. My go to rods are a 4, 6 and 10. That said I have two fives (a two piece and a 5 piece) and an old nine weight and an even older glass seven weight, plus an el cheapo Ugly Stik in 11 that I use when I very occasionally chase sharks or really big tarpon. For the record, that Ugly Stik is a pretty nice rod. Its a medium to slow action so you have to double haul with bigger flies, but it will fight a big fish in and for the money its a nice disposable, use occasionally rod.

PS If you're kayak fishing I would definitely go with a fast action nine foot rod. Another of the same weight and maybe a lighter action and shorter for bank fishing for smaller fish, or in the brush would make sense as a second rod.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
okay, so can someone take a few minutes to explain when, for an example, more than one 5WT would be beneficial.. and what the differences in the set up may be. longer and shorter poles for wider and narrower rivers or casting room. what to use when accuracy is more important than distance etc...

just trying to get some useful information... I see myself fishing small to mid size creeks and rivers for trout. But i also love fishing largemouth in some of the local lakes and ponds from a kayak.

I have two reels at the moment and the smaller of which i could set up as a 5 or 6 and the larger can run 7-9. I was thinking that based on the above infromation I could set up a 9'- 5WT rod for river fishing and maybe a 8'6"-7WT for the lakes. Is 7 a good choice for the largemouth or should i step it up to 8WT
Since I tend to collect 3&4wts here we go for each scenario

Sage TXLf 1wt = blue bird day! no wind on a small stream fishing tiny dries

Sage TXL 3710-3 = smaller streams, not much wind plan on fishing dry dropper say a size 16 elk hair Caddis with a hares ear dropper. A little bit faster action rod
Sage ZXL 376-4 same streams moderate breezy day dry fly fishing, this fishes a little slower action than the TXL
Sage Circa 389-4 dry fly only any where I plan on going small or medium rivers , very slow action rod
Sage one 390-4 bigger water, can unload a ton of line and handle a decent wind.this thing is a cannon.

I also have 4 different 4wts in a comparable type of line up

I need to buy something besides a Sage one day.
yonder likes this.