The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 AM

furnacefella will become famous soon enoughfurnacefella will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What do consider a full set

4,5,6 and 8 for me but as mentioned they are different rods for different applications. I fish 90% dry flies with the odd single nymph and very rarely streamers and/or indicators.

8'6" ZXL 4 wt. for small streams.
8'6" Zenith 5 wt. for medium waters.
9' Z-Axis 6 wt. for larger water trout.
9' Xi2 8 wt. for larger water pike and walleye.

It is a nice combo as I think there is too much of a gap between 4 and 6. They are also somewhat interchangeable under special circumstances. If there are tiny flies hatching on larger water I can use the 5 wt. instead of the 6. If hoppers are active on the small streams the 5 can also replace the 4. Wind, weather and fish size also play a role in the rod I grab and having a gap of 2 wts wouldn't work as well.

I will add another fast action 5 wt. when the right deal comes along in 9' or perhaps 9'6". I am 99% sure it will be a Sage One but would like to get my hands on a Radian for a testing or the tip flex G Loomis.

I also would like to have a 3 wt. 8' or under in a medium action rod for small stream days and fish under 15". I am thinking CT or TFO, nothing too spendy.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:30 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Until I read this thread, I thought I was good with a 3-5wt, a baitcaster, and UL spinning.

Guess I'm still a little short, so lets add an old telephone and some explosives and I should be good.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt3065 View Post

vs

and why. Just wondering which way you went and why..
Neither. Any set will have to cover the conditions and species one will target.

Dennis
oarfish likes this.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i'm a 3 , 5 , 8 guy. No real need for any others.

7'6 3wt

7'6 5wt glass

8'6 5wt

10'6 8wt

Addicted To Vise