The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 12:48 PM

hoyt3065 is on a distinguished road
Default What do consider a full set

vs

and why. Just wondering which way you went and why..
Old 09-21-2013, 12:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do consider a full set

At 70+ a whole different idea crossed my mind ..........
Old 09-21-2013, 01:10 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,,,and so forth.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:16 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Let's see...

I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8.

Clearly I need 000, 00, 0, 7, 9, 10.

To answer the question, though, for a 4-rod set, I'd go 2, 4, 6, 8 over 3, 5, 7, 9.
Or, for me, 1, 3, 5, 8 would work better based on the fishing I do.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:21 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Either series will due. Personal prefernce really. The odd series has a 9wt which is a big rod. Unless you will be fishing salt or musky. I would probably lean toward the evens. With that said I have everything between 3 and 12 and wouldnt dream of ditching any of em
Old 09-21-2013, 01:30 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

not to mention medium, med. fast, and fast actions....all lengths from say, 6 to 10+ feet,...in graphite, fiberglass, and bamboo in every possible taper........I don't think that I will ever feel that I have a full set.......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-21-2013, 01:33 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

5,6,7,8,9 all the same suit, straight flush! Whatever works for you! I use 9s an 5s the most so I have s few of each with a sprinkling of 8s and 10s! Individual fishing situations tend to dictate rod size! Since I use a 9 for SW and also for Salmon I have 2 setups for each. I have a 5 for trout and one for panfish as well.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-21-2013, 01:40 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

seems to me it's not like golf clubs (a set?) and what you consider buying should be designed to maximize opportunities for enjoyment where you fish and how you like to do it. I have three very different 5 wts for very different purposes. I also have a 2 and two very different 3 wts...all fished in differring circumstances. In my mind you're better to think about which rods fit your needs rather than thinking about creating a set...2 cents...
mcnerney, oarfish, yonder and 1 others like this.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:29 PM

hoyt3065 is on a distinguished road

okay, so can someone take a few minutes to explain when, for an example, more than one 5WT would be beneficial.. and what the differences in the set up may be. longer and shorter poles for wider and narrower rivers or casting room. what to use when accuracy is more important than distance etc...

just trying to get some useful information... I see myself fishing small to mid size creeks and rivers for trout. But i also love fishing largemouth in some of the local lakes and ponds from a kayak.

I have two reels at the moment and the smaller of which i could set up as a 5 or 6 and the larger can run 7-9. I was thinking that based on the above infromation I could set up a 9'- 5WT rod for river fishing and maybe a 8'6"-7WT for the lakes. Is 7 a good choice for the largemouth or should i step it up to 8WT
Old 09-21-2013, 02:40 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt3065 View Post
and maybe a 8'6"-7WT for the lakes. Is 7 a good choice for the largemouth or should i step it up to 8WT
Just how big are these bass?

7-8 wt is what lots of salt guys use to catch 30" striped bass.