The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy I'm a poor lonesome flyfisherman

Last week ,none of my friends was free so I went fishing alone.I loved it when I was very young….I don’t anymore.I went to one of my favorite sections and had a great time,the level is still good for september,the water clear enough and the fish were active… ten or so bows…a dozen chub with some big guys on dry and nymph….saw some dace but couldn’t hook one of those devil fish!!!I like this section with lots of “bathing” bushes and branches where bows hide….big chub usually prefer big pools and regular currents although they sometimes behave like trout.I christened my new net for I lost the other one a few weeks ago….
a few pics taken with my phone....the last one ....the pool by the broken bridge is for Allan

Click the image to open in full size.
imxer, Pocono, mcnerney and 17 others like this.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a poor lonesome flyfisherman

JP: Sounds like you had a good time fishing despite not being out with your buddies. The water sure looks beautiful.

Larry
jpbfly likes this.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

JP Even though you were fishing alone which I & I suppose many of us don't like you netted some nice Rainbows & a nice Chub.
I haven't caught any Chub however from time to time I will go Fishing alone & usually run into someone I know.
Brian.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:08 PM

robtmitchell is on a distinguished road

Hi,

At first I thought you were on the wrong forum?? just joking.

I fish alone a lot, it can be great, especially if the fish are active and you get the spots to yourself.

It is better than staying home and not going just because you could not find anyone to go the same day and time.
It started innocently when someone backed on me at the last minute for a 2 day outing 20 years ago, I just went anyway.

Hell, I have been going solo to West Yellowstone for 4-5 days every fall and will be again next week. I will fish all day where I want, there will be no stopping for anything other than gas for the car. I will load my float tube or chest pack with snacks, beer, scotch and go all day hunting for the big ones on the rivers and in the lakes.

I will talk with people I meet fishing if possible. I met guy last year who fishes solo and really hard like me, it was reassuring that I was not the only one.

I think something happened to me or did not happen to me as a child.
I can go solo and have a great time.

Embrace it, enjoy it, think of it as an adventure, be careful and take your camera.

rob
mcnerney and jpbfly like this.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

I have written about this topic in the past. I love fishing with friends, but something about fishing alone is very special. When fishing with friends, yes I get to share the experiences with a buddy, but when fishing alone, the experience is special on a different level. I find that I notice my surrounds a lot more, I I tend to fish to specific fish rather than just fishing pools or pods. I take more time before I cast and I cast much less often but normally land many more fish. When fishing with friends, I find myself fishing, when fishing alone, it is more of a hunting / stalking game. I look forward to many fishing trips in the coming future, both alone and with fishing buddies. I recommend all of us to never to cancel a fishing trip simply because we do not have someone to go with… You might be surprised how fun it can be.
mcnerney, jpbfly and fredaevans like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 09-22-2013, 09:31 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for sharing the PICs. The solitude is nice once in awhile, but I like sharing the trips too.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Thanks for sharing the PICs. The solitude is nice once in awhile, but I like sharing the trips too.
"Solitude" does not include a old Yellow Lab and a cuddle nap on the beach.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I would rather fish alone. The only two I dont really mind fly fishing with is my daughter and son in law.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:32 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Great Pics, J-P! I remember the Lergue very well; and particularly the bridge tower!

That bridge has a very deep pool that runs right along side the remains of the tower that you see in the pic. Walking around the tower is not easy; the footing below water is even worse than what you can see in the vertical remains of that old tower. The pool is full of big Carp!!

When I fished there with J-P, the water levels were a lot higher than they are in the pic. I got 1/2 way around the tower, made the mistake of looking down at the pool and then at the footing below (there wasn't any footing!), froze, developed a "WTF" look on my face, and J-P had to rescue me by pulling me across the gap in the tower footing. I made it; didn't get any carp and, needless to say, we walked around the old bridge tower on the way back!

Thanks for posting, J-P.

Pocono
jpbfly likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I knew you would like the pics...which would remind you of our fishingyou're not the only one who had some.....problems going around the tower