The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishiowa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 05:18 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Researching a WISCONSIN trip

I just got back from a wedding around DANE county. While driving around I noticed a placed called BLACK EARTH FISHERY and figured it was a nice trout spot. Turns out there are nearly 30 creeks (mostly stocked) but a handful of unstocked holding wild populations of trout.

And bonus, plenty of running roads for the wife. So I'm thinking of coming back out here for a week.

Can anyone local or at least having visited this area give me some input on

(a) Best season/weather to come
(b) Any good local shops (I'm going to go without a guide/lodge/private access)
(c) any experience you've had in the area (places to avoid due to crowds/overfishing/too remote etc/locals)

I know there's an Orvis store in Madison but figured I'd start here.

Thanks!
C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 09-22-2013, 08:28 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Researching a WISCONSIN trip

I would like to help you answer your question but I have a few questions I need answered to answer your question. Are you only planning on going back to Madison? Are you only going to try to fish for trout? knowing these will help me out a lot.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I can't offer you much advice on that area, unfortunately. But I do have to imagine that the streams get quite crowded over there. I'd probably just drive another hour or two to the west and give yourself more wild trout options.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:46 AM

cavdvr is on a distinguished road

Season end in a week, so plan for next year.

If you can travel another hour or 2 you can make it to the driftless area with
hundreds of streams to fish. northwest to west of Madison.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Another vote for going just two hours or so northwest. Base in Viroqua/Westby area and you will have tons of options for wild trout. The Driftless Angler on main street in Viroqua is a nice small shop and their website has good info. I prefer March-May and September but summer can be good too.
diamond rush likes this.

Last edited by fishiowa; 09-23-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

There's a lot of good trout fishing in the Driftless (hoping to get out there tomorrow). Black Earth Creek is a good naturally reproducing fishery, but it's highly pressured because of it's proximity to Madison.

Wisconsin DNR website has an excellent library of maps showing classified trout water (Trout stream maps - Wisconsin DNR)

DNR says there are 5400 miles of Class 1 (naturally reproducing) trout waters in the state. The law in Wisconsin says that the stream bottom of any navigable water is public property, so a lot of it is accessible even if it's surrounded by private land, just gotta access from a bridge and keep your feet wet (though most of the creeks in the Driftless have very silty bottoms, so wading isn't always the best bet).

Viroqua is sort of the spiritual/cultural center of trout fishing in Wisco. There's also a lot of good water around Richland Center.

I'm just starting to explore it myself.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

this is all you need to see...you will love it.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I'm jumping on the 'drive further' bandwagon. Base out of Viroqua and talk to the guys at The Driftless Angler. They'll steer you right.

My favorite time to fish the area is mid-May, mostly because I love hunting morel mushrooms as well and that's when they're in season. Plus, the trout are active, the weather is still a bit cool and the vegetation is still pretty low. Last year I stumbled across ~5 gallons of morels on a trout stream around Viroqua.

Other good times to go are April for the black caddisfly hatch, all summer long for epic hopper dry fishing, and early fall for beautiful views of the fall colors coupled with hungry trout on the rise to small trico hatches.

As for avoiding crowds, you'll have no problems. 10% of the streams see 90% of the people, due to easy access and stream improvements. Hike 10 minutes from a parking area and you'll have the place to yourself. There are so many good streams packed closely around Viroqua that you can drive 10 minutes in any direction and find a place to fish.