The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default DSLR Waterproof Cases

So I picked up a new Canon 70D yesterday. My problem now is I have no idea how to safely bring it with me on wading and boat trips. The lens' that I have are the 18-55 kit lens, and a Tamron 18-270 that will likely be on my camera 99% of the time.

Something that I can throw in my backpack is preferred, rather than a whole new bag.

The one that I saw that interests me is called a Digi Pouch from Smith Fly. It's just a Sea-line waterproof bag with a foam padding from what it looks like.

Is there a waterproof pouch or carrier out there that you DSLR users prefer?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:32 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: DSLR Waterproof Cases

My simple suggestion is 'Don't do it'. At least, don't do it with a camera that you care about losing.

For most shooting, buy a waterproof, shockproof camera. Everyone makes them. You should be able to find a good one for around $150 (mine is a Nikon AW-100). $150 is probably less money than you'll pay for a good waterproof case.

If you have a camera that can get wet, you'll keep it out and ready to shoot all the time. You will be able to get shots that you'll miss with your DSLR because you have the DSLR packed away someplace safe.

If you feel you really want to carry your 70D around with you, get a real hard case, waterproof, to keep it in. Take it out only when you're sure it'll stay dry.

When I want to take a DSLR along on a fishing trip, I use an older one (Nikon D70), with a cheap lens. Digital bodies depreciate really, really quickly. The D70 body is worth maybe $80. I have some old autofocus lenses that are worth about $50-75, but work fine. Even if the whole thing goes swimming, I'm out around $150. I keep it wrapped up in a couple of Glad Zip-Loc freezer bags when I'm not using it.

Professional cameras/lenses from Canon or Nikon or some others have pretty good weather sealing. You can use them in the rain. Consumer cameras and lenses don't have that level of sealing and will probably get wet inside if used in the rain.

This answer gets away from your original question, but I hope it's helpful anyway.
mcnerney, fredaevans and ted4887 like this.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:13 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

On the last trip I took, I shot my photos with my DSLR in the morning before hitting the river and put it back in the vehicle. All other shots were taken with a waterproof point-and-shoot. I KNOW I would soak my DSLR or drop it on the rocks or whatever.

My advice is shoot pictures with your DSLR and fish with a cheaper waterproof camera. You still will get really good shots. Those waterproof cameras are small and take exceptional shots.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

if you want a waterproof case for the DSLR, prepare to spend about twice what you spent on the camera. they only make professional use underwater cases for like scuba and such. Last time I priced one for my 30D it was 1800 bucks. I can ALOT of underwater P&S for that much.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Theres waterproof housings and then theres waterproof bags. The housings are quite cost prohibitive as they are designed to encapsulate specific models. Pretty advanced technology. But to take along dslr in a boat or backpack you can just get a small WP boat bag. I do it all the time. I actually take my Nikon D7000 with me almost everywhere. I spend a lot more time photographing birds and scenery than fish tho, so Im never stumbling around on wet rocks with it in my hands.

I actually wade with it in a small backpack. Im concious of the camera so I dont do any stupid wading or acrobatics. Im getting to that age where thats not on my agenda anyway I have gotten over the paranoia of having it along and have been so happy to have it hundreds of times.

Its a personal choice. In a boat I see no reason not to take it. For wading, ite a risk reward situation. If your cool with mediocre documentation photos of fish, take a cheap P&S. If you are out there as much to see scenery and wildlife as you are to fish, you may want to consider a secure way to carry the big gun.
PS. I have been using that Tamron pzd 18-270 for a couple years. I would consider it "slow glass" but it is my #1 lens. The versitility and sharpness is fantastic!
ted4887 likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a nice DSLR Nikon that I take with me often, but for most of my water shots I use a good waterproof P&S. While I'm by no means a 'pro' by definition, I have had a fair amount of photos published in the fly fishing mags with my articles as well as a cover shot last year with Fly Fishing & Tying Journal I can't compare some of my shots equally to some from DSLR's, but the magazines seem to like them.

Here are a few - all Point & Shoot, with either a Pentax Optio ws80 or a Pentax Optio W90.

Cover shot:
Click the image to open in full size.

Have been published:

Anyway, there is a lot you can do with a good P&S, don't just chalk it up to "mediocre" photos as all that you get with these cameras. There is no doubt that your DSLR will do a much better job in the long run. Waterproof housings for DSLR's appear to be priced much more than the camera itself was. Waterproof gear bags as has been mentioned for boats, etc. are a good choice. I also take my DSLR with me on the river in a waterproof sling pack, but I make sure I use my wading staff for any and all walking so that I don't slip and go in. I make sure I am not fishing when I am using my DSLR, but focused on taking pictures, so that I will no become distracted and lose my balance or some such.

Good luck and wade carefully.

Kelly.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:41 AM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

If you really want the Dslr on the river.....
There's a rental site www. Barrowlenses.com that has waterproof cases available. It will seal your body and lens from the elements and give you access to all of its functions. I think it's expensive and bulky but maybe what you're looking for.
I use a waterproof stuff sack its a roll top bag and pretty durable. I put that in my waterproof Simms back pack. Overkill but I can't afford to replace it if I dunk it. And that's only when I intend on shooting with my Dslr. Usually my iPhone or a point and shoot are my go to since I can access them faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:50 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Anyway, there is a lot you can do with a good P&S, don't just chalk it up to "mediocre" photos as all that you get with these cameras.
All of Kelly's pictures above contain fewer than 6 MP. The newer waterproof P&S cameras available today are around 16 MP. Most of them have some kind of vibration reduction.

The advantages that DSLRs have over P&S cameras are focus speed and lens speed. DSLRs are faster. In good light, for things that aren't moving, P&S cameras are very good. So is an iPhone 5.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:19 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Theres waterproof housings and then theres waterproof bags. The housings are quite cost prohibitive as they are designed to encapsulate specific models. Pretty advanced technology. But to take along dslr in a boat or backpack you can just get a small WP boat bag. I do it all the time. I actually take my Nikon D7000 with me almost everywhere. I spend a lot more time photographing birds and scenery than fish tho, so Im never stumbling around on wet rocks with it in my hands.

I actually wade with it in a small backpack. Im concious of the camera so I dont do any stupid wading or acrobatics. Im getting to that age where thats not on my agenda anyway I have gotten over the paranoia of having it along and have been so happy to have it hundreds of times.

Its a personal choice. In a boat I see no reason not to take it. For wading, ite a risk reward situation. If your cool with mediocre documentation photos of fish, take a cheap P&S. If you are out there as much to see scenery and wildlife as you are to fish, you may want to consider a secure way to carry the big gun.
PS. I have been using that Tamron pzd 18-270 for a couple years. I would consider it "slow glass" but it is my #1 lens. The versitility and sharpness is fantastic!

Thanks J-bird. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I'll likely pick up a Pelican case for it when it's on the drift boat, but just for walk and wade trips it would be nice to be able to ensure it at least stays dry. If I fall and break it while I'm walking around, well, accidents happen. That's what no-fault warranties are for.

I'm pretty excited to play with the Tamron lens. The dealer that I bought it from said it was a great lens and recommended it to me.

It appears I have mis-named the thread though. It should be "Waterproof bags for DSLR", as I have no interest in spending $1000 dollars or w/e on a waterproof case. My fault.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:30 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Dont get me wrong. I do take pictures of fish with it. I'm just not the type to snap a shot of every fish.
I have rigged a system that has a small camerabag chest harness. I will wear this along with the camera's strap coming out the top and around my neck. It is 0% waterproof and 0% impact resistant, so I have to choose wisely when to pull this out of my backpack and wear it. But theres no way it can fall off me. The harness has an "X" strap around me and the camera strap is around my neck. If I'm into a fish that I feel is photoworthy, I can have the camera out and ready to fire in a couple seconds. Same with if I see ANYTHING photoworthy when I'm out there.
Theres no doubt I excersize an extra amount of caution when I have the camera with me. But its so worth it. BUT! Only if you are deft with a DSLR... which is a whole nother subject

I think youll like the lense You can see some of my stuff here... Jayspencer's Photos - ViewBug.com - ViewBug.com A very high percentage of these were shot with the Tamron.