The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mridenour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Doesn't happen often but it still does happen

Me and my nephew didn't get to fish yesterday like planned. Issues,,with a day of steady rain, had us call it off till this afternoon. He fished various live and other baits from were he sat,,,I wandered all up and down the lake hitting the 'pads' with SEVERAL different offerings from the fly box. Then near dark we sat out a couple spinning outfits apiece for catfish.

You know what we caught.

ZERO.

Humbling. Very humbling. I mean if the fish had ignored ME,,perhaps I could blame myself and reason this all out. But he's a fairly good fisherlad and he was using BAIT,,and didn't catch anything.

I think the baro pressure from the storm/cool'er front that came thur just quashed everything in the lake that eats anything.

Can an entire lake be demonically possessed and try to run you insane ?

It has to be one of the two and I'd prefer to go with baro pressure/cool front.

A tip off is that at no time this evening did the gills come shallow. None. Again, I'm not the best 'lake' fisherman that ever lived,,much preferring streams, but still.............

Still it was a blessing of an evening in all seriousness. The far shore was absolutely golden for a time , the lake was a blue silver after dark. No way am I seriously complaining about the time spent today.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Doesn't happen often but it still does happen

Not to fear...sometimes even I don't catch anything!

When fishing for bass here it seems that fishing just ahead of a cold front is good and then after it just shuts down. It may just be me but it doesn't seem to affect the coldwater river fishing as much.
theboz likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Cold fronts on warmwater lakes are like switches. The coming of one the switch is on and so are the fish! The onset of the front the switch is off and so are the fish! You can go from feast to famine in a matter of one day in the same spot! Weather and tides have a huge effect on fishing in lakes and saltwater as does flow (cfs) in rivers.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Still it was a blessing of an evening in all seriousness. The far shore was absolutely golden for a time , the lake was a blue silver after dark. No way am I seriously complaining about the time spent today.
Then you still had a great day!

Rick