The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 04:28 PM

wingnut1998 is on a distinguished road
Default Old Orvis Far & Fine

Hello everyone,

I have a old Orvis Far & Fine with the number 0689 on the butt cap. Ironically, I purchased this new but can't remember when. Late 1980's early 1990's. Anyway, it's in really nice condition considering the age and being used, but I've not touched it in at least 15 years. It has the tube and sock that came with the rod.

Any information anyone can give me as to what a current value would be on it, would be greatly appreciate and I'm looking to sell it to fund a bamboo rod.

Thank you very much!
Marc
Old 09-23-2013, 05:15 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Old Orvis Far & Fine

Marc-
Welcome to the forums. The value of older rods , reels is what the market is willing to pay. Unfortunately, there is no Blue Book like for old cars. Here is my process to determine value for my used equipment: Visit the popular auction site & review the completed listings for the rod model (in similar condition). Take an average of the selling price & base your desired amount according to that average and any other factors (for e.g. urgent need for the money from the sale etc...)

Good luck with your sale.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

+1 on what Mysticism said on value. As for the 0689; your rod was made June 1989.
Rich
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

One of my F&F's has the same date. Got it 2 years ago for 2 Benjamins. It was pristeen.
You should keep it and sell something else. Go fish it for a while before making a drastic decision like selling it.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:35 AM

wingnut1998 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your info. I found one on the "bay" for about 200 so far in similar condition. I'll keep watching it to see where it goes.

M