The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 09:47 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tactics for wary trout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post

OK, familiar scene already for this new fly fisherman....

I go to my creek yesterday, crystal clear, mid-day, warm and sunny, trout have probably seen half dozen fisherman already. Sitting in about a foot of water are at least 15 trout. I sneak up all stealth like and toss a fly. The biggest fish says, "look guys, a hook with feathers on it, I been eatin bugs all morning and don't think I am interested".

So after a half hour of emptying my very limited flybox, I busted his troutazz with a gulp minnow on my wooly bugger.

Some or you purists might call that cheatin How do you normally proceed on tight lipped trout in tough conditions?

You should sell your fly rod and go with split shot and meal worms.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 PM

ia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to all

That could be Jay, but I think due to the taste and smell they were able to take a second and determine the gulp minnow was "real food". I just wasn't fooling them with flies. More practice needed. I am going to see this situation (pressured spooky trout in shallow and clear water) frequently on the streams anywhere near where I live.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post

You should sell your fly rod and go with split shot and meal worms.
Stenacron

No trout were injured in this thread. All the victims were released unharmed. I was simply trying to see if the fish were catchable after 100 casts of trying to catch them the "correct way".
jbird likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Presentation and fly selection. Some tailwater fish here in Colorado are smarter than most of us. Anything out of the ordinary will put them down. Wrong color, wrong size, too many tails, not a big enough thorax, etc., etc. Then again, they are just fish

I like to also use light long leaders and fish only a single fly. When times get real tough I'll sneak up on the water on all fours making as little as disturbance as possible. And never let you shadow hit the water. Even the shadow from your rod or line will make those leery fish hide under rocks.

Randy
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

"Game of Nods"
A concept/technique put forward by Vincent C. Marinaro
in In the Ring of the Rise.

Marinaro was talking about tiny dries and big browns in a spring creek. The principals apply to trout (and char) in general and work just as well with soft-hackle, wets, nymphs and even micro-streamers.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If they just will NOT bite, I back away from the hole about 40yds and preform a religious ceremony followed weeping and gnashing of teeth. The essiencial part is to take a ten minute break after the ceremony.

The 10 min break may or may not help the fish bite, but after I ease back up to the hole,,the tears have at least cleared enough that I can at least SEE the fish again.

I've went smaller and had it work,,by the same token, I've went bigger and had that trigger them. It's a chess game at times, no doubt about it.

Mike
jbird likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:20 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I had some success with heavily pressured trout by moving way upstream, casting downstream and sinking the line (dipping the rod tip) with a small emerger, then raising the rod tip when I estimate the fly is in the neighborhood. Break-offs are common since I'm far enough away that we can't see each other. But they seem to take very solid since they see the fly before the line.
jbird likes this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey