The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice
Default Re: Wet or Dry

I've probably made fewer than 100 casts with a dry fly all year.

Lakes & ponds for bass & pickerel, somewhat different story, I like throwing bugs & such into the lily pads (BLAMMO! FISH ON!) but I catch probably 85% of my trout on streamers, and most of the remainder on nymphs or soft hackles.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough

I usually go with streamers and nymphs here in Missouri, although when a hatch does appear, I'm not afraid to fish a dry, but streamers and nymphs have been really good as of late. The Browns have been good to me this year. Now about that sandwich, I go with a quick full dip. I know now what will be had with football this weekend. I make a great Eyetalyon Beef. Don't forget the giardiniera relish for the kicker.
scott_g likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 PM

fiend540 is on a distinguished road

I fish mostly nymphs, but only because as a noob they're what I know and am comfortable with.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've been a dry fly bigot pretty much for as long as I can remember. The visual aspect of fishing adds significantly to my enjoyment.

My home waters primarily support a large caddis fly population, so I fish with a very active presentation. I tend to view my fly as a puppet, so I very much like to see what it is doing. I will also say that my home waters have a very diverse population of prey, so the fish rarely feed selectively on a single species, rather I think they are in the habit of feeding opportunistically, taking whatever happens to come along. That allows me to successfully fish the way I want to fish, and that might not be the case in all waters. Of course, that may be the fact that initially attracted me to fish where I fish.

I think the other thing with me is I've been doing this so long, my strike reflex is keyed to a visual cue. Seeing the take is what triggers my strike reflex. I find I react alot slower when I feel a take, rather than see it.

It's particularly exciting to me, when fishing clear water to see the fish approach the fly getting ready for the take. Sometimes it's a slow approach, sometimes the fish shoots up thru the water column like a Polaris missile. In either case, it's a fun game not to over react or pull the trigger too soon. It is a fun game I never get tired of playing.

I've pretty much fished this way my whole life, so out of force of habit, it's what I like to do. I find I can catch more than my fair share of fish on top, whether there are hatches going on or not. I have confidence that if I use the right presentation, the fish will respond.
yonder and scott_g like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

It's conditions for me --

I fish brook trout with dries (more like "foams" most of the time) since the streams are small and the trout are already oriented to getting food on the surface much of the time.

I fish other species about 90% of the time under water (soft hackles, streamers, nymphs) and only use traditional dries when there's an obvious rise going on.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:57 PM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough

The more and more I get out (having just picked up fly's this summer), I'm really having a lot of fun with dry's. Seems like mainly fishing these has really helped me to develop my cast. Of course I just picked up my first vise this last weekend (great sale online at Cabela's for their deluxe fly tying tools kit, $30 btw!) and have been starting out with woolly buggers and clouser's, so.... looks like the streamers will be getting their turn soon
Old 09-25-2013, 02:40 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

I want to say I let the fish tell me what to throw, but I will admit that I revert to training.

My favorite way to fish is Dry. I love watching my fly drift to a surface strike. To me- that's what fly fishing is all about.

I find myself rigging Hopper/Copper/Dropper most of the time these days under the belief I'm covering all the bases.

I was initailly "trained" on a long, heavy, South Platte nymph rig, and will revert to this to catch fish, 'cuz that's what I'm out to do!

I would like to learn more about Streamers, they look like fun.

CAB
Old 09-25-2013, 04:26 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

dry fly 99 percent of the time....It's just what I like to do........
Rip Tide and pszy22 like this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not much of a bobber fisherman. That kind of fishing was unknown when I started out.
My grandfather taught me to fish when I was a "kneehigh" and he fished really old school with whippy cane rod and a "cast" of wet flies.
Dancing them down the stream. It's a deadly way to fish if you do it right.

All things equal, I'd just as soon fish on top all the time. I know that's not always feasible but it's the most fun.
yonder likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:00 PM

scott_g is on a distinguished road

Heading up for a 4 day fishing weekend at the cabin. We shall see what the fish make me throw!