The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 PM

scott_g is on a distinguished road
Default Wet or Dry

I like my Chicago style beef sandwich on the dry side but tend to leave the dry flies in the box. I bring them out on occasion on those perfect calm trout siping days and to get a giggle out of my five year old daughter when we are out fishing for gills. I think it is a confidence thing with me and fishing sub surface. Not to take anything away from the needed perfect presentation it takes with dries but I enjoy the concentration level needed to connect with a fish where the strike is unseen. Can't tell you how many times when I first started I felt a strike and by the time it transferred all I could think of was "dang that was a strike, Dang that was a strike, Dang that was a strike!" What do you guys and gals tend to get of the box more often? I fish with a buddy that dang near only fishes surface. Can't tell you how many days he has said he would rather go home skunked than fish one of my nymphs or streamers!
pszy22 likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wet or Dry

For trout, I prefer to fish surface mostly because I only have small trout streams anywhere close to me. They are more willing to take surface flies in smaller streams than in bigger rivers, IMO
Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Everybody has their preferred fishing style. I would rather be versatile and increase my chances of catching fish. Your friend isn't wrong though. IMO whatever makes fishing a success for him is how he should approach it.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:12 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Its a passion of mine to throw dries in small streams......

With that being said. I still let the fish decide what they want and adjust accordingly.

Jim
Old 09-23-2013, 10:13 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

There is no doubt fishing dries is fun, however nothing gives me more pleasure
than throwing big meaty streamers for big meaty trout!
jbird likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

My go to is dry fly fishing, followed closely by throwing streamers, and then nymphing.

Randy
Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_g View Post
I like my Chicago style beef sandwich on the dry side but tend to leave the dry flies in the box. I bring them out on occasion on those perfect calm trout siping days and to get a giggle out of my five year old daughter when we are out fishing for gills. I think it is a confidence thing with me and fishing sub surface. Not to take anything away from the needed perfect presentation it takes with dries but I enjoy the concentration level needed to connect with a fish where the strike is unseen. Can't tell you how many times when I first started I felt a strike and by the time it transferred all I could think of was "dang that was a strike, Dang that was a strike, Dang that was a strike!" What do you guys and gals tend to get of the box more often? I fish with a buddy that dang near only fishes surface. Can't tell you how many days he has said he would rather go home skunked than fish one of my nymphs or streamers!
There are two factors that will dictate how I am going to fish. Conditions usually dictates what I will throw. If I don't see fish rising or a lot of bug life on top, I won't be throwing a dry. The other factor is what kind of mood that I am in. Some days I just want to fish soft hackles. Some days I just want to fish dries. Sometimes the plan is successful. Sometimes it is a failure.

Here is the answer to your question. I tend to fish subsurface flies more often. Usually conditions will dictate this.

Dennis
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:55 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Trout do 80% of there feeding below the surface. Number varies as to which study(ies) you consult. I fish soft hackles unless they aren't working, then wets, then micro streamer, then streamers then dries.

Dries take some of the fun out of it for me, but that is just me. I'll dose up a soft hackle with floatant before I tie on a dry. (I would would guess I am carrying 9 sub-surface flies for every dry I am carrying.)
Old 09-24-2013, 12:49 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Trout do 80% of there feeding below the surface. Number varies as to which study(ies) you consult. I fish soft hackles unless they aren't working, then wets, then micro streamer, then streamers then dries.

Dries take some of the fun out of it for me, but that is just me. I'll dose up a soft hackle with floatant before I tie on a dry. (I would would guess I am carrying 9 sub-surface flies for every dry I am carrying.)
Ralph Cutter wrote something similar to that. He uses a dry shake. It gives the fly some buoyancy, plus it gives the air bubble look that is often associated with an emerging caddis.

Here's the read on Glossoma Caddis by Ralph Cutter.

Dennis
Old 09-24-2013, 02:48 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm bi! I'll tie a dropper nymph to a dry fly. That's just to see what they want. Once I do, the trout decide. If it were up to me I prefer dries, but I want to catch fish, not just watch a dry fly float, so I'm happy with nymphs and streamers. In warm water, I tend to go with streamers over poppers as I think they are more productive over all.
mcnerney and scott_g like this.