The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 PM

oryontheroad is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite trout water in WV, OH, IN, IL, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID, OR, CA?

Hey all,

New poster here, planning a summer road trip cross-country East to West. I'll be on the road for a couple of weeks at least in September. Anyone have recommendations for trout fishing on the way? I'm willing to go off course a little for good water. I wade fish only (no room for a drift boat amongst all my worldly possessions).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as well as advice for good camping spots. Anyone along the way who would like to show me around your neck of the woods will be rewarded with a cold one on me!

Let me know what's around, your favorite vacation memories, etc. Thanks in advance,

-Sam
Old 07-31-2010, 01:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite trout water in WV, OH, IN, IL, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID, OR, CA?

Sam, I can only speak to Oregon, what part are you headed to?

Fred
Old 07-31-2010, 02:43 PM

Fred ---

I'll be coming into OR from Spokane , and across the 84 to Portland, then down the 5 to the 126W to the coast and down the 101 from there. I have friends to visit in PDX and family on the coast in Florence, then on to old stomping grounds on the CA north coast. I could certainly be convinced to detour a few hours for good fishing, especially into the south-central mountains, as I could easily take the 5 all the way into CA. Let me know where you fish in OR. Thanks for the reply!

---Sam

P.S. -- Anyone who would like to contact me directly with info or links can do so at this dedicated email:

sam.flyfishing.roadtrip@gmail.com

Thanks to all, and stay tuned for links to the trip blog!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam,
If you wish to down into California, you may want to consider the Upper Sacramento River. There are campgrounds spread out the 20+ mile stretch. The Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir would be the key shop where you could get the latest intel. It is perfect 4 to 5 weight water in which you have the opportunities at 20"+ wild Rainbow Trout.

If you want to expand your fishing in that region, you may want to consider fishing the Lower Sacramento River, Pit River, and McCloud River. The local shop for more intel would be The Fly Shop in Redding, California.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:58 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like you may be planning to cross Iowa on highway 80. No trout that far south. In Iowa the only trout water is north of highway 20 and the farther north the better. North of highway 20 would also bring the driftless area of SW Wisconsin into play. Let us know what route you are considering.
Rich
Old 08-01-2010, 07:37 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Elk river in WV.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:45 AM

@Moscapescador: Thanks for the info. I actually grew up along the lower Sac, in Chico. Not really trout water down there, but I would fish the shad run most years. Dunsmuir is pretty area, I'll make it a point to stop in at that fly shop.

@fishiowa: As I have it mapped now, I'll be skirting through IA, turning off the 80 to the 380/218N and then west on the 18 to Clear Lake, all the way up the 35 into Minnesota along the 90W. If northern IA has good summer trout fishing or great camping spots, it would be an easy detour. let me know. Most of my route is still in the soft warm malleable stage, but I hope to toss it in the kiln in the next couple of weeks.

Great help here in the forum so far, much appreciated!

---Sam
Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sam

The Green River below Flaming Gorge is probably south of your route but would be a worth while detour. The boat launch is at the dam and the river flows through a huge canyon 1,500-2,000 ft walls and the only other access point is at the take out 7 miles to the south, but there is a walking trail all the way from the dam to the takeout called Little Hole. This section of the river is called Section A or the aquarium due to the gin colored water with a slight green color. If your willing to hike you can get away from the crowds and the fishing is great. No camping along the river on the A Section, but lots of camping around Dutch John. The land around the river is virually all BLM land so access is not an issue, but the canyon restricts access on the A section. Section B has lots of camping along the river, but I think the trail only goes down maybe a mile or so, not sure. If you are interested in this, send me a PM and I can give you details on the camp sites and how to fish the river.
Up around the Pinedale, WY area there is access to the Green River and Hoback that provides some good fishing. If in the Jackson Hole, WY area you have some possibilities, but I would pm Davo (a guide in that area) who can give you some options for wading. He is pretty busy this time of year so he probably won't see your post.
The South Fork of the Snake just east of Idaho Falls (Swan Valley area) would be another good option, it is a big river but with a little looking you can find good wading. Another option would be to fish the Bighorn River (another tailwater) near Ft Smith, MT. There are a couple of campgrounds in the area and plenty of access to the river.

Larry
Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryontheroad View Post
@Moscapescador: Thanks for the info. I actually grew up along the lower Sac, in Chico. Not really trout water down there, but I would fish the shad run most years. Dunsmuir is pretty area, I'll make it a point to stop in at that fly shop.
The stretch of the Lower Sac between Redding and Red Bluff is considered a blue ribbon trout fishery. It is the most consistent trout water in the state year round. The downside is that its best fished out of driftboat. The guys at The Fly Shop in Redding can clue you in on walk and wade areas. Who knows? You might time it right for the summer Steelhead run.

MP
Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

If you're willing to go just a little of the path I contend that the spring creeks of southwest wisconsin are among some of the best fishing in the country....Bar None!!

Viroqua wisconsin is the town I would fish out of...Here is a link to a fly shop in that area. Check it out!!

Home Page - Driftless Angler Fly Shop